Observations fail to sync

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.20.30

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

App begins syncing and then suddenly stops. I’ve reinstalled the app and it didn’t fix the problem.

Step 1: Upload observation normally

Step 2: Become sad

Step 3: Repeat

instead of becoming sad and repeating, i would generate a log file and send it to help@inaturalist.org to see if the staff can see what might be causing problems.

alternatively, if you can narrow things down to a specific observation / photo / sound file that you’re trying to load which may be causing problems, that might provide some more information that the community here can use to help you more. based on what you’ve provided here so far, i’m not sure anyone can help you much.

2 Likes

Care to explain how to make a log file? I’m on mobile only.

I have two different observations currently failing to sync. Is there a way to link to those from mobile without them being uploaded? I can’t even add IDs because it tells me I need to sync them. I have 750 observations and have never had a problem so I’m really confused where the bug came from.

Thanks!

For sending a log file:

4 Likes

I’ve emailed a debug log to the team, thanks !

4 Likes

A while back I did have a problem uploading but I originally tried with a bad connection and there was an incomplete upload there. My quick fix was to delete the observation using the web interface and then the phone app sync’d.

Looks like the date of at least one observation you’re trying to sync has an observed_on date of December 24, 2021, so that’s what’s causing the syncing issue. However, an observation like that shouldn’t be allowed to save. Can you please open up the observations and send screenshots of them either here or to help@inaturalist.org so we can take a look? Specific details like exactly how you made the observation(s) would also be really helpful.

1 Like