Observer profile pic on each observation has moved upwards in Identify?

I’m not going crazy right? The thumbnails weren’t in the middle of the photos a few hours ago…

3 Likes

could be related to https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/commit/c02689001adf8b4c4c8228aee09329034ad4bba1#diff-17916ca2a596326cd430a7bdda6cbc1f1fe9969fc802163cac61f1b972709a02R311

it looks like the profile images are probably aligned for smaller observation image layout. so they look funny when you have the layout set to show larger images.

here’s the smaller image layout just for comparison (to your screenshot that shows the larger image layout):

2 Likes

what I found odd was that I’ve had the large image layout for a long, long time, but I only noticed the floating thumbnails just now, I’m almost 100% certain they weren’t previously like that

3 Likes

i don’t use Identify much. so i don’t have a good mental image of what it used to look like. i think the deal is that the user images used to be positioned based on some fixed distance from the bottom of the observation card. this was fine when the bottom portion of the cards that show the taxon names was fixed in height. but i think the change noted in the link above allows the text to now flow over into multiple lines, making the height of the observation cards variable now. so the user image positioning was changed to be offset from the top instead of the bottom, not taking into account that the observation images can be two different sizes, depending on the layout that the user has selected.

you should probably change this thread’s classification to a bug report.

1 Like

They have definitely moved today. They weren’t like that before.

3 Likes

Bug! Can’t see the image details if there is a floating ‘head’ photobombing.
The ‘head’ should stay in the white area below the obs photo.
I have my display set to 10 which fits my laptop screen.

I can reproduce and also think this is a bug. Even in my “smaller” Identify view (what I use), the white space/banner at the bottom of each photo takes up more space than it used to (I think) - there’s a lot of dead space, the page doesn’t show as much.

2 Likes

the first part can be true, but the “dead space” part is only true if on any given row, there’s a mix of observations with names that take up multiple lines and observations with names that take up a single line. you’ll see the extra space on the observations with names that take up only a single line. for example, in the screenshot below, note how the observations in the first row have the extra space because there is one observation with a common name that flows to a second line:

one of the other things i noticed is that the profile photo seems to be slightly lower in the new alignment (in the small observation photo layout). it’s barely noticeable, but i think the new alignment causes the photo to intrude into the text just a little too much:

for comparison, this is what it would have used to look like:

Thanks for the report. We just pushed a fix. Do the user icons in Identify look OK now?

3 Likes

Yes works good!

1 Like

Thank you! All good this morning.

Perfect thanks :)