Out-of-taxon suggestions from visually-similar search with taxonomic restriction

Recently, I’ve now-and-then been seeing some rather crazy results from visually-similar suggestions on the ID screen. Searching within a particular plant genus, the top suggestions are sometimes animals, and I can’t find any similarity in the taxon names that might lead to confusion. Today’s example while IDing https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/27582909 gave three mammals, two birds, four unrelated plants, and one insect as the top suggestions for a search within the taxon Balsamorhiza (a plant genus). It seems to be pulling nearby species regardless of visual or taxonomic similarity. If I change the taxon selection to the next higher category (Tribe Helianteae) the search works as it should.

1 Like

“It seems to be pulling nearby species regardless of visual or taxonomic similarity.”

I wonder if it’s really pulling nearby, because I’ve noticed that “visually similar” under the compare tool usually ignores location, but it makes it obvious by removing the field for the location filter.

I wonder if “visually similar” is meant to ignore taxon too, but is not hiding that field.

I could sort of see the logic if it is meant to ignore all other filters.

Along a similar thought, I’ve wondered why pictures of humans are often suggested to be Agaricus bisporus (button mushrooms). I think it is because one of the few research grade observations of the species (most are grocery store specimens or other Agaricus species) includes several pictures of the (human) identifier. I wonder if the propensity of people to pose with their giant puffballs (Calvatia gigantea) makes that another common suggestion for humans.

1 Like

I also think it’s because many deer photos have leaves and maybe fawn hidden in leaves would look the same for program.

1 Like

No, “visually similar” does normally respect the taxon selection. As I said, it works properly (showing only plants within the taxon) if I select a higher-level taxon for the search.