Photos not loading on website, on browser (Android)

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): official site (Android)

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): On any page, for example, the observations on a species page, some photos load and many do not load. Some individual observation photos don’t load. Experiencing this problem since 2-3 days. (The same photos load every time.)

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

in the example from your screenshot (here’s a link to the actual page: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6681&taxon_id=208030), the 2 observations that are displaying photos are observations whose licenses exclude the photos from being added to the AWS Open Dataset bucket of images. the rest all have been added to the AWS bucket.

so it looks like you’re not able to get images from the AWS bucket for whatever reason. try opening this (one of the images from the observations), and see what you browser says: https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/103347245/medium.jpeg.

also, if you try to open the same set of observations in the Explore view in the Android iNaturalist app, do the photos load properly?

2 Likes

Many thanks for trying to diagnose this problem. The link you attached displays a blank(ish) page on my browser.

I haven’t been using the app frequently these days, except to upload my photos. Some of my own images haven’t been opening or displaying on the app, for the past 4-5 months. I’m running short of memory/space on my phone, so that could be a reason. But this has been consistent for the last 3-4 months. I’ve had approximately the same amount of storage space remaining since May/June, but I haven’t had any issues with the official website till this week.

1 Like

do you have 2 different internet connections available (ex. mobile data vs wifi)? if so, can you try opening that image file while connected to each network, and report back what happens?

2 Likes

I currently have only mobile data available. :(

1 Like

None of my own observations are displaying currently, which suggests that your diagnosis is right.

Yesterday, at least a couple of photos on the Herpetogramma page (the link I shared as screenshot) displayed images partially (in a state of semi-loading). But that doesn’t seem to be happening today.

Any chance updating the browser or clearing space on my phone might resolve this? I’ve already cleared browser cache and tried logging in again.

1 Like

i would guess that either your ISP is blocking stuff from AWS or that your browser or some extension or something like that is blocking stuff from AWS, but it’s hard to diagnose without having a control connection or device to compare against. is iNaturalist the only site where you’re noticing issues? have you installed anything or changed settings on your phone / browser recently?

1 Like

Yes, iNaturalist is the only site where I’m experiencing issues currently. Also, I don’t remember having made any change to my browser or phone in the recent past. Haven’t updated Chrome since a few months, though, because I’m running on ~300mb of free space.

I’ll try logging in from a computer in an hour or so to see if the same problems occur there.

I logged in from a computer and there are absolutely no problems. I guess it has something to do with my phone. Hopefully the situation will be resolved if I create some space on the phone. Thanks a lot for the replies and the help. Will reply here if the problem resolves.

Update: The problem resolved automatically but I’m at a different location currently. I’m probably receiving phone network from a different tower. It’s a strange issue. I’m seeing all the images on the pages now.:blush:

3 Likes

Yeah, like @pisum said the cause is almost certainly downstream from iNaturalist and related to your ISP or some other local issue. Unfortuantely there’s not anything we can do about it on our end. I’m going to close this bug report.

1 Like