the easiest way for me to report this is to ask you to read the dialog on this page:
Hi Susan, since we can’t view your personal messages, can you copy the text here?
OK! Here it is:
I wonder why I am not listed as one of the top 5 observers in the species ranking of the NYC beetles project?
Since I have 127 species of beetles observed here in NYC, I think I should be number 4 in that ranking.
Susan August 30, 2023 05:35 PM
xris My guess is that some of your Observations that you see in NYC aren’t meeting the Project Criteria.
If you can find a couple of those, we can confirm and figure out why. August 30, 2023 06:05 PM
susanhewitt So far I can’t see any that don’t meet the criteria. But perhaps I am not looking carefully enough… August 30, 2023 09:53 PM
xris This seems like a bug in iNaturalist.
[NYC Beetles] has only three criteria:
- Location: New York City, US, NY
- Taxa: Order Coleoptera (Beetles)
- Quality Grade: Research Grade OR Needs ID, i.e.: “Verifiable”, anything but Casual Observations.
I get different species counts for you, depending on how I choose to look at them:
- Your Verifiable NYC Coleoptera Observations shows 2,293 Observations of 127 Species.
- Searching for [your Observations in the NYC Beetles Project] also returns 2,293 Observations of 127 Species.
- The NYC Beetles Leaderboard also shows you have 2,293 Observations. However, it only counts 98 Species. It should return the same numbers as if viewed through a regular search instaead of th project page. That’s an iNaturalist bug, not anything configurable in the Project settings.
This is intentional – the smaller number is the true species count and the bigger number is the leaf count. You can find more info here.
Thanks Jane – so does that mean that I have recorded only 98 beetles in NYC that are so far actually ID’ed to the species level? The other 29 I have observed/photographed are presumably currently ID’ed to family, tribe or some similar taxonomic level?
The species count is species or lower, so yeah 98 that are species or lower (and it’s up to 100 now). And the rest are anything above species, I think they’re mostly at the genus level for you.
Oh, I see! Thank you very much Jane for explaining that to me. I will have to try to see if I can get any more of them down to a species level iD. :)
This topic was automatically closed after 14 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.