Problem with "Add taxonomic tags to selected Flickr photos"


When I use the feature “add taxonomic tags to selected Flickr photos” I encounter a problem.
When the page loads there’s an error message at the top: “Sorry, one of those Flickr photos either doesn’t exist or you don’t have permission to view it.”

One or more random Flickr photos have been selected. The photos are never mine and they always represent people, activities or buildings (so never anything close to something you’d add to iNaturalist).

The photos linked to the observation are never selected (which was the case before). I have to search for them and then either go and have a look at each original or just hope I’ve selected the right pictures from the thumbnails.

I work on Ubuntu and use Firefox.

I’ve attached a screenshot.

Have you already linked your Flickr account to iNaturalist, by giving iNaturalist permission to access your Flickr account?

Yes. I’ve been using iNat with Flickr for ages. Everything worked fine until a couple of months ago.
My images also show up correctly when I add or view observations. It’s only with the tagging that there is a problem.

Hmmm, I’ll have to let someone else more familiar with the taxonomic tagging routine take a crack at this, since I have never used that functionality. I tag mine outside of iNat.

1 Like

Perhaps this is in some way related to Flickr’s decision to reduce storage on free accounts and encourage users to pay for more storage? I don’t know what the relationship might be there but that was a pretty big change that happened a couple of months ago I believe.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. That could have explained it, but I don’t have a free account.

1 Like

Wow, I don’t think we even have a link to that page any more! Flickr’s been making lots of changes as of late, likely due to SmugMug taking over, so that is probably what’s causing this issue. We’ll look into it but we may have to make some bigger changes to how Flickr works with iNat.

1 Like

That’s ok. I’ve found a workaround.

I mostly posted about this issue because I figure others might be having the same problem.
I can’t imagine I’m the only one using the feature.