Question about Amara eurynota

Good morning.

I read on the Internet that the ground beetle Amara eurynota feeds on seeds.

Do you know what type of seeds it feeds on?

No one has answers to this question?

Please create one thread for your terrarium and post your questions there, instead of starting a new thread every time you want to know about the feeding habits of a particular organism. Context matters – for many of your questions, it is useful to know why you are looking for this particular piece of information.

I don’t know if you will find ready-to-use answers for your particular project, since it sounds like you are collecting local organisms which may not have been subjects of intensive ecological studies. You might find it more successful to carefully observe your terrarium (who eats what etc.), and try different things to see what works and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

Amara often means bitter in scientific names, i.e. Bitter almond, Prunus amygdalus var. amara So it is weird to me that it would be a part of a beetle’s name, lol. If it said that they eat just seeds, it may be that this ground beetle is a generalist targeting germinating seeds underground.

I hope this input helps! :-)

See DOI: 10.14411/eje.2016.042 .

HTH, G.

1 Like

OK, I’ll try to remember that.

You might find it more successful to carefully observe your terrarium (who eats what etc.), and try different things to see what works and what doesn’t.

Except that I take big risks (at least in the case of a species for which we have little information on the diet) because it can attack many other individuals in the terrarium.

it may be that this ground beetle is a generalist targeting germinating seeds underground.

And what about seeds from plant waste?

I also wonder about their consumption capacity in relation to the size of the seeds.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.