Questions about Voting

Well, for what it’s worth I logged in as star3 (with their permission), noted the account had reached its limit on votes and closed a request they voted for. They were then able to almost immediately add one vote to another request. I haven’t checked on the 116 votes thing yet, but to be honest 100 votes was chosen as a number I didn’t think anyone would ever hit. ;-) We need to do a better job of cleaning things up (@bouteloua’s doing that now, thank you!) and closing requests on a more timely manner.

2 Likes

How long after a topic is closed does it take for votes to be returned? Just now in my forum notifications I saw this:
It says my vote was already released because the topic was “completed”, but when I visit the topic my vote is still there:

As I said, in my testing I found it to be almost immediate. I closed a request with my account in one browser, then went to another browser where I was logged in as you, loaded a different request and saw that your account could vote for it.

Discourse still keeps a record of your vote for a feature request (that’s why everyone’s icon is still showing on that closed request). But that vote is no longer counted against your number of allowed active votes.

I just closed a feature request you voted for. Can you now vote for another feature request?

3 Likes

Ah, is that why I was showing 116 votes (it was a voting history, not active votes)?

I just went to a feature request & it was showing “Limit” on the button*, but when I clicked it let me vote for it and correctly updated the button text to “Voted”.

*with votes available to me the button text should have said “Vote” instead of “Limit”.

1 Like

That’s not something I saw in my testing, if I refreshed the feature request page a few seconds after another request was closed, I saw Vote as the option.

it wasn’t even a refresh (so even less likely to be cache issues).
It was a completely new tab, to a feature request I had no votes or comments on.

Cannot remove votes from older topics to free them up for fresh ones.
Still have 4 left meanwhile.

1 Like

I was just able to remove a vote from a topic.

1. I moused over Voted to see how many i had left.

1. I clicked on Voted then clicked on the red X next next to Remove Vote.

1. The topic now has 9 votes and I have 13 votes remaining.

1 Like

Thanks - I was trying to delete votes directly from the list.
Must open each topic first.

3 Likes

I am amazed, what a lot of work by just 8 core people. Awesome, just awesome. And of course thanks

2 Likes

Thanks! And hopefully we’ll be adding to that number soon.

But really the lion’s share of work on iNat is done by the community - adding IDs and comments, voting on data quality, welcoming new users, curating taxa, and moderating behavior. It’s a full community effort and we owe iNat’s success to that.

2 Likes

The whole is greater than the sum :-)

Inat is a wonderful community.

2 Likes