Removing old votes doesn't give me votes back

I wanted to vote for a a feature request, but I’m out of votes. So I went and removed two old votes from other feature requests and refreshed the page. But I’m still out of votes. This is kind of annoying. Any suggestions for what else I can do? I’d prefer not to remove past votes from feature requests, especially if doing so doesn’t give me any votes back.

3 Likes

Also, closed topics don’t give you votes back automatically, not sure if iNat can do something with that, but it’ll give users many votes back.

1 Like

I am forced to pick thru the list. Remove votes from closed topics. And older votes which are sliding into - iNat has decided not to …
Keeping my active votes for newer, and perhaps hopeful, topics?

I reached the limit, removed a vote, and I was able to vote on another request.

I just closed one of the topics you voted on. Are you able to vote on anything else now?

No, I removed votes from around 30 closed topics and it still says “limit”.

Would either of you be OK if I logged in as you (which I can do as an admin) and tested this out? I just tested both scenarios and couldn’t find any issues.

1 Like

Sure.

1 Like

OK, I logged in as you and removed a vote from https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/access-pinned-locations-on-the-batch-edit-screen/21294 (just a random choice).

I think when to another randomly chosen request (https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-extra-confirmation-step-when-agreeing-with-ids-on-own-observations/6316) and saw this, which I believe says you have one vote left?

Yes, now it says I have one vote when I go to a random request page, but what about all others that I removed, are they lost? And why do they register from your side and not ours?

1 Like

Hi @tiwane, no problem - feel free to test. I wonder if I had previously reached a level on the Forum that permitted me to have more votes, and dropped a level that leaves me with fewer, such that even removing votes, I’m still over this newer limit? Not sure if that is possible.

1 Like

On a closed topic - could you not give us back our votes automatically?

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/create-a-drop-down-menu-for-tags/38135
This is closed,
Now it is a mission for us to convince the system to give me back my vote so I can use it.

1 Like

Everyone at Trust Level 1 or higher has 100 votes.

I did notice yesterday when closing some requests that there might be a delay when returning votes, but I’ll have to test that a bit more.

It’s supposed to do that automatically - there are no settings that affect it, as far as I can tell, so it might be a bug with Discourse’s software.

2 Likes

@deboas I logged in as you and saw you were at the limit. I removed a vote from a request and when I reloaded the page or went to another feature request, saw that you had 1 vote available. (I went and added that vote back to the request).

I now just closed this request, which you voted on - do you have a vote available now?

I also temporarily closed this request, which I voted on. I had 2 votes available before closing it, after I closed it and went to another feature request page, saw that I now had 3 votes, which was expected. When I re-opened it, my available votes count went back to 2, which is also expected.

Hi @tiwane, I do have an extra vote now, thank you. I think perhaps what happened is that I removed votes from feature requests which had closed, which reduced their vote count by one, but didn’t give me any votes back. From what you have said, when the feature request was closed, I should have got that vote back already, even if it continued to “count” in the vote count for the closed feature request.

2 Likes

You have closed this one
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/leading-subspecies-ids-should-change-the-obs-taxon-like-leading-ids-of-other-ranks/139/143

Where there are now 80, instead of 81 votes. Since I had to manually remove mine.
Surely that should automagically free up votes for those 80 people?

I got a notification from the system that it was closed and I could see my votes go 16 —> 17

1 Like

I also got two votes back with recent feature requests that were closed. Your vote still “counts” in the closed feature request, but if you remove it there, even though the vote count will drop by one, you won’t get another vote back, as it was already credited to you when the feature was closed. At least that’s how I understand how it works.

3 Likes

Snap - I also have 17 votes to use.

2 Likes

Yes, the tally of votes for the feature request remains when the topic is colsed, but users who made those votes will get a new available vote to them.

3 Likes

Not nearly enough. :laughing:
You had to troubleshoot this same issue for me a few years ago, and I had used 116 at that time: