Questions about Voting

Right, but I said “currently”. I don’t have any votes right now.

1 Like

I’m assuming you went to your “Activity” and then “Votes.” On my own, I see a list of topics I voted for, but I can’t tell from the list itself which topics are open and which are closed. Did you have to click on all of them one-by-one to see which votes were on closed topics?

I did go into a couple of the ones on the list, and I was able to remove my votes. I was not out of votes, though. I’m glad you brought this up because I never thought to remove my votes as Feature Requests were closed, and I have usually tried to quit tracking topics before they close in order to not get all the notifications of topics being closed. Now I can see that it’s useful to keep tracking them until they’re closed, in order to avoid having to try to find my votes on closed Feature Requests among all the votes on open ones at a later date.

1 Like

Yes, that is exactly it, and on the topics that were closed I had an option to remove my votes (I haven’t yet, though).

Well, I just removed 2 votes from closed topics, and I still can’t add a new vote elsewhere.

Just removed 1 more and could vote.
So I have to remove 3 votes to restore 1?
Or is there some minimum 12+ hour delay between removing a vote and having it available to apply to other topics?

I don’t know what I’m talking about here, but I thought that everyone now had 100 votes, and yesterday I looked up your list of feature requests you had voted on and I counted 116. So I’m wondering if it’s possible that you need to get your votes under 100 before getting new ones. But I’ve also noticed more lag time in changes taking effect in general.

2 Likes

That raises more questions! :)

I only removed 3, so with the total you found that means I have 113 votes, but it still let me apply 1 (so 114 in use, and never had to go below 100?)

1 Like

and I still count that you have made 116 votes, so something’s not working right

1 Like

I’m behind I guess, because I thought Tony
had settled on unlimited votes for everyone.

2 Likes

Okay. I searched yesterday because I thought the change was announced somewhere on this forum, but I was unable to find it. Thanks.

I found where I got the 100 votes from. It changed to 100 near the end of 2019: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/remove-the-voting-system-from-the-feature-requests-category/8072/8

If it changed to unlimited, I still haven’t found it.

2 Likes

If it’s unlimited, why was I getting messages that I was out of votes?
Every new bit of information about voting in the forum confuses me. :woman_shrugging:

Or did that change happen yesterday in-between when I posted and when I could vote?

It would have been a while ago, certainly not yesterday. Obviously since you’re out of votes, I must be mistaken. Maybe I am miss-remembering the change to 100. Or maybe they wanted unlimited but then the platform coding had a max of 100? Beats me.

Update: after checking the topic Paloma linked, looks like they did mention unlimited is not possible as a setting.

2 Likes

Yeah, I count 116 too. As far as I can tell, closed Feature Request topics still consume your votes (which makes sense in case one is later reopened).

I see some comments from Tony about changing categories to restore votes, but unless 16 topics that I voted for were moved from Feature Request to another category and then moved back to Feature Requests*, I don’t know how I got 16 over the total.
*assuming that moving something from another category like General back to Feature Requests restores the votes it had previously, which is a big assumption

I’m not sure about that. Here is the Discourse place with the voting discussions: https://meta.discourse.org/c/plugin/voting/59

And here’s the one in there that indicates that closed Feature Requests are supposed to release your votes: https://meta.discourse.org/t/votes-not-being-released-after-close/96394

2 Likes

hmm, well that isn’t happening, because the 3 votes I reclaimed were from topics marked closed.

Yes, I know, but maybe it’s the people running Discourse who need to fix it.

Right now anyone at trust level 1 or above should have 100 votes, and you should get votes back once the topic is closed. Supposedly you should be getting a notification when you have 10 left. I can do some pokin’ around.

5 Likes

I know you’re busy, but any word on this?

Just FYI, testing this now and might temporarily close some feature requests to see how that affects votes.