Remarkable / Monumental Trees Project

Hi :grinning::deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::palm_tree:

In connection with this message, I believe it is possible to create a project that allows observations of trees deemed “remarkable” (“monumental trees” or other terms) to be grouped together.

In addition to grouping, I believe it is also possible to propose a list of specific fields (height, circumference, age, planting date, etc.) for the observations of a project. But when I tried to create one, I couldn’t find this feature.

Would anyone else be interested in this project? And would you have any advice for me?

Many thanks!

I’m posting a few links below as I make my discoveries:

You would have to make a traditional project and curate which observations you want in it. You can make it so no one else can add observations so that you don’t have to worry about people adding trees that don’t fit your criteria.

2 Likes

specific fields
There is a scoring system that is used for big trees.
Circumference (inches) + Height (feet) + ¼ of crown spread (feet) = Score (points)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5202838.pdf

2 Likes

You can make it so no one else can add observations

On the contrary, I’d like other users to be able to add their observations to this project.

But I realise that a first step could be to create a custom field for remarkable trees. This have the advantage, over tags, of being able to be added to other people’s observations (if they haven’t disapproved).

I’ve just created a “remarkable tree” field, with a drop-down list and a few values (“yes/no/maybe”), but it needs to be completed :
https://www.inaturalist.org/observation_fields/17448

Now, what I don’t understand is how to propose a set of custom observation fields to observers?
For example, on the “old trees” project, I see that a set of fields seems to be listed:

(french screenshot : don’t know the english word)

Does anyone know how to do this?

1 Like

After a few explorations, I realise that the “Old Trees” project meets most of my expectations :grinning:

However, I don’t know how the project creator managed to propose a list of Observation fields ???

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.