Richmond shows up as "Richmond city county"

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website):

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: When creating a project I have to add “Richmond city county”, then “Greater Richmond Metro Area”. Can this be made just “Richmond”?

Step 2: This also poses problems for other projects, in which the user is unaware of this fact, and valuable obs go unnoticed. They only put one of the two, excluding the other. Can this be fixed, for user convenience?

Step 3:

If you’re writing this about Richmond in Virginia US, the “city county” thing is a quirk of how some states like VA or MD need to break out city/county jurisdictions within a database that will sort unambiguously. My own VA city is like that and I see it listed that way in state reference indices online. So if our own state is OK with it, iNat should be good to go too. ;)

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t think this is a bug. VA considers cities as separate to counties but equivalent in some ways (if you look at a county map of VA, the cities are depicted separately). I don’t think having to choose two locations for a project is is too much of an imposition.

1 Like