Seek has been uploading an observation to iNaturalist for several months with no progress

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): version 2.14.8 (273)

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : NA

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: NA

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): Not much else to add. Every time I open the Seek app, the “upload now” button is there waiting for me. Every time I hit the upload button, it just sits there. This doesn’t impact the usability of the app at all, other observations upload just fine.

I can’t remember exactly when this started but I’m pretty sure it happened while I was using seek in a valley with no cell service. I had handful of observations pending upload and when my phone reconnected, one just stayed there forever. All I can think that may have caused this is that while an observation was pending upload, I deleted the picture Seek was trying to upload, and now it’s just failing to find it and trying forever.

Would reinstalling the app fix this error? Once again, it doesn’t impact the usability of the app, so if reinstalling will wipe all of my Seek data then I’ll just live with it.

Thanks!

1 Like

It does that to me all the time, I just ignore it.

2 Likes

if you’d like to know what the app is actually trying to do, you could send a log file to iNat staff. see: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/seek-photo-crashing-after-initial-photo/26683/2.

2 Likes

Reinstalling for sure will not help, because thereby you would loose your observations. Other than that I am not sure why this message keeps showing up for you.

2 Likes

I do not use Seek but have had a problem with instant-failing observation uploads in the iNaturalist app. For me it was precipitated by the images being corrupted or nonexistent – e.g. my phone storage would get full, so when I would take a picture through the app, it would falsely succeed but the image would have nowhere to go in the phone, so the image attached to the observation would not exist.
Not sure if that is anything like what’s happening to you, but it could be worth checking whether everything is right with the associated image.

2 Likes

I have had the same problem for a week or so.

Like a previous poster, I think it relates to an observation when I had no internet. I think I also deleted the image.

I updated to the most recent versions of seek and iNaturalist. This is an iPhone 12 Pro Max. iOS 16.3.1