Seek app crashes when posting to iNaturalist

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings): 2.8.1 (127)

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Take photo outside app using phone camera.

Step 2: Use camera button in Seek to choose photo from phone photo album.

Step 3: Seek makes ID.

Step 4: I click “post to iNaturalist.”

Step 5. The app crashes and shuts down. Happens about 60% of the time. Results in data uploading to iNaturalist but not the photo. Have deleted and redownloaded the app. Happens at varying levels of cellular signal.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your report!

2 Likes

@shannonmarvel I can’t replicate.

• are you on a strong, stable internet connection when this happens?

• are you changing or adding anything on this screen before posting to iNat? (the black circle is to cover the roadkill snake photo from my screenshot)

It happens no matter how strong the internet connection is. It also happens whether or not I change anything on that screen. At this point, I can no longer use the app. It crashes virtually every time.

I’m sorry to hear that. We just released an update with some bug fixes (version 2.8.3), it’s available in the App Store - it might be worth updating the app and seeing if that helps.

Otherwise, a few more questions:

• which device do you have?

• do you have any apps running in the background? Another user was experiencing some problems with Seek and was able to solve them after quitting other apps, which suggest maybe a memory issue with Seek.

• Can you please post a screenshot of what you’re obseration looks like before you submit it (like mine above)? Either here or at help@inaturalist.org.

I have an iPhone XR. I’ll try to get a screenshot the next time it happens again. My phone memory was very full and after making some room Seek is working better, not all the time, but way more often than before.

1 Like

Same issue here. App crashes after a little while. It shows updating 10 observations (Post to iNaturalist) and it doesn’t upload the photos and crashes. Using Iphone 11 with Seek 2.11.1

1 Like

We just released a beta version that might fix this. If you want to test it out, please sign up and download the beta version - you can find instructions here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/LM5oO3P7 It would be helpful to us if you tested it out and let us know if it worked or not.

1 Like

That release is now public and everyone one I’ve had test it out says the app no longer crashes during upload to iNat so I’m going to close this.