Seek said a native species was introduced

While testing out Seek, I observed an oak (it was a Quercus alba, but Seek only IDed it to Quercus sp.) and then clicked on nearby oak species, then white oak (Quercus alba). I was surprised to see that it was marked as Introduced. White oak is native to my region.

I thought maybe this was related to a checklist error I had made at one point, but it appears to be correctly marked as native in my area as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I can’t see the full list of establishment means for Quercus alba on the iNat website to be sure.

Strangely, when I clicked on the map and then went back to the “taxon page” in Seek, it changed from Introduced to Native.

Related request that would help troubleshooting: please list the actual place for the corresponding establishment means status when you tap on “Introduced” or “Native”:

e.g. “This species occurs in [PLACE NAME] because of human activity” or something.

This was on a Pixel 3 / Android 10 using Seek 2.3.8 (73) with permissions: Camera, Location (only while app is in use), and Storage; No permissions denied

2 Likes

I’ve seen this behavior frequently. It appears to me when using the Seek app on a second organism after identifying a first organism, the species name gets updated but the “Introduced”/“Native” label is updated much more slowly. I agree that this is problematic; I think the app should be designed to immediately remove this label until the updated label can be computed.

1 Like

in this case, the website should be displaying the entire list of 30 records, as far as I can tell: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/54779-Quercus-alba. there’s only an issue if there are more than 100 records.

the only place where Q. alba is marked as introduced is British Columbia.

(my post was written 3 years ago, who knows what establishment means changes on this taxon might have been made since then)

1 Like

oh… i should have paid attention to the timestamp on the post. i thought it was a new bug report for whatever reason.

1 Like