Show sounds on taxon pages

I don’t know if someone had already talked about it.
It would be a good idea to include sounds on the taxon page of certain organisms (mainly birds).

• The sound selection process for each taxon would be enabled for all users.
  • Could be the option to import sounds from other platforms such as Xeno-Canto ?

I didn’t know I needed this! I support the motion

3 Likes

That is a great suggestion. It would be especially nice to have this in a separate panel, maybe a button that, when pressed, applies the ‘has sound’ filter to the taxon

3 Likes

I have used Xeno-canto and Macaulay Library, but my go to is the Audubon app. I’d love to see quality, user created audio show up in taxon pages.

2 Likes

We’d be interested in doing this, but it needs to be fleshed out. Right now you’re proposing that users can add sounds the way they add default taxon photos, correct? Some questions:

• would these sounds be mixed in with the default taxon photos, or separate?

• would you want a separate sound browser, or a mixed sound/image browser?

2 Likes

I would like them to be separated, I do not know for example that at the bottom of the taxon photos section there was a small audio player, and that on the curation button there would be the option “modify sounds” with its own browser.

1 Like

Discussed today. Would need a good amount of design work, but it’s still something we think we should do. I can’t provide an estimate when it would implemented, though.

1 Like