Snails and moss of the genus “Tortula”

Good morning.

Are there small snails in France that feed on moss like “Tortula” without decimating it?

I think that if you’ve found that snails will decimate one species of moss, I doubt there is a species that won’t be eaten by snails. Moss seems to be a desirable food source for snails.

As with any overgrazing situation, it will come down to the amount of moss and the number of snails.

1 Like

I think that if you’ve found that snails will decimate one species of moss, I doubt there is a species that won’t be eaten by snails. Moss seems to be a desirable food source for snails.

I haven’t discovered anything but here is my situation.

I have just set up the setup of my terrarium (basically for detrivores) by adding moss of the Tortula genus and I was planning to put small sized snails other than Pomatias. I was wondering, therefore, if there were snails in France that feed on moss without decimating it.

As with any overgrazing situation, it will come down to the amount of moss and the number of snails.

My terraruim has dimensions of 30x30x30 and the moss covers about half of the terrarium. This information will allow you to have an idea of ​​how many small snails to use (and especially which species) without risking, of course, the total destruction of the moss by the snails in question.

I misread you question, but I think the species of snail shouldn’t matter all too much either. As @jasonhernandez74 said, it will largely depend on how many snails and how much moss. If you can keep the population in check, I don’t see much of an issue.

OK.

By control, I assume you mean introducing a predator?

That could work. Manually removing snails could also be an option if they start to overpopulate.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.