Sort by date or file name during upload

Hi all,
I would love if it is possible to sort photos during upload by date (or ideally switch between date/file name). Atthe moment when yopu drag and drop they are sorted chronologically. I often hav photos from mobile and camera and when editing photos while uploading more photos it is not convinient, would be much easier if photos are sorted chronologically.

In order to keep them in chronological order, I order them on my desktop first (I use a Mac) then I click on the Choose Files button on the uploader page and select the photos. They should appear in the order in which they’re listed on the desktop.

1 Like

Isn’t there another similar request already? I commented on the other one that I am very specific about the order I add photos to illustrate the observation. I suppose an option to sort them might be useful sometimes.

There’s this one: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/groups-photos-by-timestamp-on-upload/143, but it refers to automatically grouping related photos into observations, not just sorting them.

On PC:
have them sorted in filemanager, select them all, drag them to the uploader page (you can alt-tab while dragging to show the uploader page). Let’s say there are 10 observations of 4 photos each. Typically each observation would have had it’s photos taken in succession, so in the uploader they should all be next to each other, assuming date order in filemanager. For the first observation, pick which is the first photo, and then drag the 2nd photo onto the first, then drag the third photo onto it, and so on in the order you want them to be. Then do the same for obs#2-10. Put IDs, descriptions and fields etc once each observation is grouped, or wait until all the grouping is done.

2 Likes

Thank you all, what you suggest is also an option, but I would have to create a temporary folder, than locate folde rone, copy files from folder one, locate folder two, copy from folder two, import and then delete the folder, a lot of unnecessary extra steps and in case you move instead of copy you might even loose the phoptos. I can live without it but it would be very usefull, at least for me and implementing should be very easy.

You should be able to sort photos in place in the same folder.

I would like this feature because I sometimes add additional photos to the upload page and they load at the end of the list. I am then unable to drag the additional photo up to combine it with the earlier observation.

And sometimes e.g. in the screenshot above, my photos are sorted by file name rather than date. And if I just happen to have forgotten to sort them by date first…frustrating to have to restart the process.

1 Like

I’ve had that same problem! I got around it by drag and drop into the observation once the batch has been uploaded…

When i upload, the photos come in in the same order as in the original folder (always in chron order by date taken), except that the last pic in the folder appears as the first pic in the Upload area. I haven’t tested to see if sorting by other fields is maintained during upload.

2 Likes

When you select you click on the first, hold shift, and click on the last. If you then drag the last to pick up the set, it will drop the last first, if that makes. Instead, click the first, hold shift, click the last, let go shift, then click and hold the first and drag the set… Then it will be the first that drops first. Alternatively, you could click the last, hold shift, click and drag the first…

It is the one that you click and drag that always drops first. If you have 5 files, click #1, shift click #5, then click and drag #2 it will be #2 that drops first. Thereore, click and drag the photo you want as the main (first) photo

2 Likes

You can use command click (on a mac, at least) to select the cards and then click Combine at the top to combine them.

2 Likes

That’s what you would think, and that’s normally the case for me when using photos downloaded from Google Photos (I also have a Mac). However, the one time I uploaded from my Canon point and shoot, the photos in my computer’s folder were in a different order when I selected that same folder through the upload button. I’m not sure what order they were actually in. I could work around this with the drag and drop—they uploaded in the same order as my computer. Still odd though.

1 Like

Looks like your computer’s folder is sorted by date descending. I’m guessing when that set of files is imported by an external agent like iNat, however, they come in using your computer’s default sort order instead of any temporary sort order you may have clicked on. Looks like the default in this case was alphabetic.

1 Like

“iNat’s View” isn’t technically correct- the view you show there is the way your browser is displaying files, which can be different than the way your Finder (ie the MacOS) displays them. You should be able to change this. Here’s my standard view:

I make sure I’m using list view (left arrow), not the 3 column view you’re using, and then you can sort the files by clicking on the various columns (right arrow).

2 Likes

Ah should have caught that.

Yes I think that’s what I was looking for—good for future reference. However, in trying to replicate the situation the issue isn’t there anymore; I’m not sure what changed. Also, every photo has the same time stamp displayed because they were all uploaded at the same time. I don’t think this is an issue: playing around with sorting puts them in the right order, so I guess it did retain the precise order they were uploaded in.

1 Like