Sort list by first/last observed

Ebird has this nice functionality where one’s life list (or the list associated with a place) can be sorted by the date a bird was first or last seen. I would like to see something similar on iNaturalist as well. Often enough it happens that my species counter moves and I have to wonder, wait what did I see today that I have never seen before. It’s not always easy to figure out.

I understand that lists as such are deprecated, and one should use the explore page instead. Also, there are a number of feature requests active w/r/t the explore page, and it’s scheduled to be redesigned from the ground up. So this is more of a general note instead of yet-another feature request. But it would be nice to have.

2 Likes

Often enough it happens that my species counter moves and I have to wonder, wait what did I see today that I have never seen before. It’s not always easy to figure out.

You can actually see this already with the calendar. Here you can see that I first observed Carpet Bugle on this date: https://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/reuvenm/2019/6/9

I do agree that a easy place to see all your first/last observations of each species would be nice.

2 Likes

Hey that’s really useful, and I didn’t know about it. Thanks!

Although it mostly does answer my immediate question of ‘what new thing did I see today?’, it does give funky results and does not act like the first seen/last seen list you’d find on ebird. And that’s not because it isn’t a list - it’s because of inconsistent results like these:

Two firsts for a single observation:

Missed a first:

Different ‘firsts’ for different observations of the same taxon:

It looks like as cool as it is, this functionality needs a little work.

1 Like

yeah the calendar is part of a very ‘old’ or depreciated part of the site. The life list first feature is one i really like and look at often too, but it does indeed miss things or have other errors.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.