Sorting by organism name

I really did try to scour the forum before posting this. There are similar topics, but none seemed to address this specifically. And maybe this should be a “Feature Request” if there’s not an answer but I thought I’d start here.

Is there a way to sort by organism name? An example would be in “Your (my) Observations”

the list can be sorted by Observed date and the Added date, but it would be nice to be able to sort by Name, either common or scientific. I know I could do a search and narrow the list to a specific grouping, e.g., genus or family, etc., but it would still be nice to be able to sort them once you have that grouping.

Do you mean like this?

I’ve also wanted to sort observations this way, but have never been able to figure out how. The system may not be set up for this…

No, more like this…

where I could sort by name and then have all the occurrences of say, the Oxalis genus grouped together.

i don’t really understand why this kind of sorting on the Explore page would be useful for some folks, but there is already a related request, i think: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/implement-taxonomic-view-for-observations-search-page/244.

in the meantime, you could always export your observations and then sort that list by whatever columns you like.

I guess you don’t understand because it isn’t something that you find useful, which I don’t understand.

For one instance, I’d like to sort the observations in a project I manage by name so I could see, say, all of the Woodsorrels grouped together; to see how many occurrences of Pink Woodsorrels and Yellow Woodsorrels there were. Yes, I could do a search on all Woodsorrels, but then they would be intermingled based on date observed or added and more cumbersome to count. I know I could also search for them individually but that’s twice as much work. And I could export them but that’s even more work. So, if I could just sort them by name, that would be the easiest.

if this is for counting purposes, it seems like you could get leaf-level counts by switching to the Species view on the Explore page, and then you could filter by higher-level taxa to do manual counts at higher-level taxa (ex. section Corniculatae or genus Oxalis).

or if you know that all yellow Oxalises are section Corniculatae, for example, then you could filter for just that section, and take the total count. you could then just manually count and add in the additional observations that are stuck at genus.

Yes, very true. But if I could sort them by name, I could find all Plantae, quickly scroll down and see there were three Oxalis articulata, two Oxalis corniculata, and three Oxalis debilis. And yes, I used Oxalis in this example, but I would also find it useful to find other genus. I could then do all the Insecta and do the same with those, likewise for Aves and Reptilia.

ok. i guess you can count however you like. it’s just not the way i would do it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.