Sort observations alphabetically by species and place

On a desktop, you can sort the observation page by the date observed or added. Would it be difficult to make it so you can also sort A-Z on the species and place columns?
Thanks

Which page do you mean? There are two possibilities I can think of here, can you please provide a URL?

For taxon sorting, are you proposing that scientific names be used?

On this page you can sort by date added or date observed, so in my opinion the ability to sort any of those categories should be easy to implement. So I would like the ability to sort on the other categories of species or place. Thanks2019-07-21

2 Likes

It used to be available there, but was removed as it did not work (too many problems dealing with localization, user name preferences etc).

I know this as I was the one who filed the bug reports about it not working, and as a result received the communication that the decision was to remove, not fix.

2 Likes

If this were implemented, my suggestion would be to sort by whichever name, scientific or common, that the user’s account setting says to display first.

1 Like

Should be fixed. This is absolutely a valuable feature. What was the bug? Even if the order is not as expected, clustering the observations together is valuable. I would use sorting by name mostly to cluster. I note that you CAN click on a species view to group observations by species, but, unfortunately, the images shown there are the default species image, not the observation image(s). Furthermore, there doesn’t seem to be a feature to click on it to expand all the observations for that species. Also, I don’t think it shows observations not ID’d to species level.

1 Like

Did this ever get sorted in any way, even as an order_by added to the URL? Because you’d have thought sorting by scientific name at least would be an incredibly minor thing to do, just a different sort by phrase. Sorting by family then taxon I would expect to be relatively straightforward. I understand localised name relating to one’s settings would require an extra adjustment.
The main thing is to be able to see observations in a systematic order with the same taxa grouped together not scattered apart. (This isn’t covered by the Species tab because you’re looking for example to see if you’ve missed out uploading any observations, and the species tab is not itself in scientific order either so that taxa in a Genus group together.)
David

1 Like