Species count seems off

Android app and mobile website ( Chrome )

My species count seems to be off. It recently went down a couple but no one changed any
ID in my activity. Additionally a new to me species was identified and doesn’t seem to be added to my species count . I hope I’m not missing something but as there was nothing of note in my activity I thought this worth noting . I like everything to be accurate.

1 Like

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing, and maybe what you think it should be displaying? The #bug-reports template asks for this kind of specific information because it’s almost impossible to investigate without specific details.

2 Likes

Not sure how much this helps, but I think there’s 3 ways that iNat tracks species count.
Forget exactly how they’re all counted, but one is something like “total species proposed”, one is more like “total species agreed with”, and the other I don’t have a guess. But if you check the explore page, or like “top uploaders per province” it’s gonna show you different numbers.
edit: Oops I went canadian mode. “top uploaders in your state or county”

1 Like

I think 1 (the list version) counts all species proposed, 2 (the species number on your profile) includes species and things left at genus, class, etc where that is the lowest level identified, and 3 (the species number on the observers tab on your observations) is only things at species level.

1 Like

I noticed someone deleted their account, so their IDs were deleted as well. Maybe it’s the reason your species count changed.

1 Like

Yes, if you do nothing your ID count will gradually go down slightly as people delete observations/accounts. This effect becomes more noticable the more IDs you’ve done.