Species you want to see before the winter

This thread is mostly for the northern hemisphere inatters (but could apply to Southern hemisphere too I suppose). Are there any species that would be lifers for you that you are frantically searching for before winter sets in and almost everything goes dead?

For me personally, there isn’t a specific species I’m looking for, but I’m at 786 species currently and I’ve set a goal for myself to try and reach 800 species by the end of September, when the temperatures start to drop and the number of insects starts to dwindle. I can already feel the temperatures getting lower than they were in previous weeks so theres not much time left :cold_face:

3 Likes

I’m in a rush to see everything I can before winter! Fortunately I see a lot more than I photograph, and I photograph more than I post.
Yes, it’s definitely autumn here in west central Michigan.

2 Likes

Been poring over every bombus (bumblebee) looking for affinis (rusty-patched) but haven’t found one this year. Time is running out locally.

5 Likes

Cuterebra mirabilis - hunting tomorrow for the rarest bot fly in the southwest

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder how North American naturalists survive- not being able to hike/observe outside for such a large percentage of the year seems like a nightmare!

3 Likes

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/naturalists-what-do-you-do-all-winter/44558

6 Likes

Not all of North America is like that.

3 Likes

True. A lot of North America is difficult in the summer!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.