Spooky organisms

Devil’s urn (also called witches cauldron, and I once saw it releasing its spores and it did look like a simmering witch’s cauldron)
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8966858

Dead man’s fingers
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/138279882

Witch’s butter. Warlock’s butter, black witch’s butter, white witch’s butter, witch’s hat, black witch moth

Satan’s bolete and the genus Satan which no one has observed

Ghost pipes, ghost boletes, ghost spiders, ghost crabs, ghost bats

Skull caps, skull spiders

Deathcap, death’s head moth

all of the members who have undead in their names

And Dragonflies were use to be known as Devil’s Darning Needles and it was believed that if you spoke lies they would sew your lips shut.

4 Likes

When I was a kid rubber and plastic spiders were a lot less accurate. Most had either 3 body parts or had the legs coming out of the abdomen.

They are a lot better now.

3 Likes

That first photo is so creepy! I’m usually not bothered by anything but any time I see that species of harvestman I get the heebie jeebies bigtime.

2 Likes

I think they’re beautiful but one could consider bladderworts really creepy. Imagine being a daphnid swimming around seeing chandelier after chandelier of clear chambers containing your acquaintances slowly melting away, much less if you were sucked into one.

3 Likes

Seeing these plastic “lifers” after halloween, where kids drop some of them while trick-or-treating or they fall off decorations that are put away is both frightening since they’re unexpected and disappointing that they aren’t real organisms.

4 Likes

I will say it’s pretty damn creepy when you’re on the coast here, if you leave a small glass of tap water sitting for a few days you’ll begin to see tiny wormslike creatures growing in it, wait a week and it looks like something from X-Files.

I would have uploaded an observation for this phenomenon that last time I noticed this but I doubt my partner would ever travel with me anywhere again :]

2 Likes

Mosquito larva?

1 Like

No, black colored worms.

I don’t know many virologists here, so I haven’t confirmed, but they’re mostly likely the cause, or related to one of the species that gives a lot of folks gastrointestinal problems in coastal communities, I usually refer to this as “Atahualpa’s revenge.”

All joking aside, it’s a massive problem, these communities continue to suffer from a lack of clean water. I work in these areas seasonally, and even near the more “developed” areas with beachfront condos, it can be difficult to even find a place to purchase bottled water for a child, let alone to be able to afford the ridiculous prices stores in these towns charge for basic products.

The thought of living in that reality scares me more than the thought being in the water with an anaconda.

2 Likes

Reminds me tells of when you put a feet in an infested pond, larvae of parasitic worms (cercariae) start fastly swimming to you.

Ah yes, everyone’s favorite vertebrate, the octopus.

2 Likes

Well… Spookfish, of course!

Dolichopteryx longipes, brownsnout spookfish3

19 Likes

holy mackerel!

2 Likes

ok you win, I’m totally grossed out.

Sometimes I walk barefoot in muddy little beach towns and I know I’m making a gamble every time :[

3 Likes

Actually the grossest thing I heard from this teacher (who was a big expert in protists and simplier invertebrates) is that they collected dust from the chandeliers and other places in a theatre after child show, they found eggs of around ten different parasitic worms, much more than in a different circumstances, so children are the spookiest beings.

4 Likes

That’s interesting, looking at this information about traveller’s diarrhea it looks like the template for naming the condition is: indigenous ruler’s name + revenge. I’m not sure what it’d be called in Southern California, but if I had to guess: eating at Taco Bell.

1 Like

or eating at Pinks in LA

:P

1 Like

I think you might like this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlMy0x42jR8

2 Likes

I think the adult Mediterranean red bug looks like a Halloween mask:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/132868086

5 Likes

south of the border, much of the water is delivered by trucks, the most-ancient trucks on the road generally… the old tanks in the trucks and many folks’ wells (just a giant 4 meter deep concrete box buried in the ground) or water tanks (a massive plastic tub mounted on the roof of houses) are easily contaminated by the larve or others. I’d imagine the larve remain in the residual water left in the tank and also on the surface of the tank in perpetuity. nasty stuff, barely takes any to get someone very, very sick. it’s much worse for children and babies.

1 Like

Witch’s Butter | Tremella mesenterica | Observation: 127129412

5 Likes