Strings with plurals in romanian

In romanian language for numbers greater than 19 we add preposition “de”.

The plural noun do not change but there is a rule that says:

:heart: after numbers greater than 19 must be added the preposition “de”:

ONE------------------FEW-------------------OTHER

1 zi-----------------19 zile--------------------20 de zile (1 milion de zile)
1 oră----------------2-19 ore----------------20 de ore (1000 de ore)
1 săptămână----------2-19 săptămâni–20 de săptămâni
1 an-----------------2-19 ani-----------------20 de ani (66 de ani)
1 dolar--------------2-19 dolari-------------20 de dolari
1 euro---------- 2-19 euro---------------20 de euro

:heart: Also, the preposition “de” is used in front of a second noun accompanied (determined) by the numeral, when thousands, millions and billions are rendered in words, and not in numbers: 20 “de” billions of euros.

1 leu---------------2-19 lei---------------20 de mii de lei

Exceptions:

a) :heart::heart:After decimals numbers, abbreviations and symbols, preposition “de” IS NOT used
b) :heart::heart:If the noun is abbreviated ex.: “m” for “milion”

1,25 francs---------2,85 francs-----------20, 45 francs
1 -----------------2-19 --------------------20 , 35 etc.
1 zi----------------2-19 zile-------------------1 m zile (for 1 milion de zile)
1 RON---------------2-19 RON------------20 RON, 58 RON etc

Source:
Ghid-practic-al-Departamentului-de-limba-romană-din-Direcţia-Generală-Traduceri-a-Comisiei-Europene (https://burgspatz.wordpress.com/ghid-practic-al-departamentului-de-limba-romana-din-directia-generala-traduceri-a-comisiei-europene/)

See on that page link to pdf (https://burgspatz.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ghid-practic-al-departamentului-de-limba-romanc483-din-direcc5a3ia-generalc483-traduceri-a-comisiei-europene.pdf)

Look at the bottom of the page 21 the last 3 points.

Crowdin AdGuard has a form with triple option for number in romanian:

From 0-1
From 2-19
From 20-infinit

Can be used in Seek and iNaturalist also.

2 Likes

Sorry, I do not speak Romanian or understand this topic. What are you asking to do?

Thanks, @liviunicolae, that helps me understand the issue. So in the Crowdin AdGuard project, you’re using the ONE tab for the 0-1 form, the FEW tab for the 2-19 form, and the OTHER tab for the 20-infinity form, is that correct?

The part that still concerns me is that you’re saying the “de” is not used “After decimals numbers, abbreviations and symbols.” That’s usually where the OTHER form is used for languages that have FEW and/or MANY forms. I would have thought Crowdin would do that and use the MANY form for the 20-infinity form, but I guess not.

Just so I understand this clearly, is this correct?

Updated: I think this is correct, and I’ve added a column to indicate the “Crowdin” form you should use for each case.

English Romanian Crowdin
0 meters 0 metri FEW
1 meter 1 metru ONE
2 meters 2 metri FEW
20 meters 20 de metri OTHER
123.45 meters 123,45 metri FEW
1 Like

You understood exactly what I said.

In fact you added more clarity because in AdGuard there was never the case of “0” value.

That’s right:
ONE: =1

FEW: =0
FEW: >=1 and <=19 (integers)
FEW: any numbers with decimals
FEW: abbreviations (e.g.: m for million, lbs for pound)
FEW: symbols ($, ¥, £ etc)

OTHERS: >=20 (integers)

1 Like

That’s an issue with the translation of iNaturalist and Seek in romanian. I created that for the programmer staff specially.

It’s nothing concerning the whole community. Will be solved for the benefit of all.

My best regards,
Nicolae Liviu

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.