Taxon photo spread contains incorrect taxa (i.e. not part of the focal taxon)

Hi there, I just looked at the Gryllidae taxon page and the matrix of photos that greets you contains several photos of insects that are quite definitely not gryllids. I clicked on one of them and found that it was being pulled from Flickr and that the user had tagged it as Gryllidae (along with a lot of other incorrect names). Why does iNaturalist pull from outside sources? There are literally thousands of exemplars within iNaturalist.

1 Like

(heads up I moved this to general since this isn’t a bug [although technically it is hehehe])

Any user is able to edit these pics -->

then you can remove any that aren’t correct

2 Likes

As to why iNat pulls from Flickr, certainly there are 1000s of examples for this family in particular, but for many others that’s not the case. I have no idea how the Flickr import process works, but my guess is that it’s applied across all taxa automatically (as opposed to the feature being able to get ‘switched on/off’ for certain taxa).

2 Likes

Many thanks! I should have realized that there would be a way for users to correct things. I’ll have fun keeping an eye on this feature too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.