The Selection Areas for a lot of Things are too Small, or Misaligned

that’s interesting. it looks like the observer and date fields in the pop-up are maybe extending over the photo and preventing it from being selected. the same problem seems to exist in the Identify screen map, since it seems to use the same kind of pop-up as the taxon screen. the problem does not seem to exist in the Explore screen, since that page seems to use a different kind of pop-up.

the observer and date fields might also be related to the problem on the photo detail pages.

this may be related to and may become moot as a result of the effort to replace the gray circles with a square grid. see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/open-test-of-map-tile-improvements/7833. in the latest post there, i’ve noted some similar misalignment between the cells and the clickable areas.

i see this occasionally. usually, i find that if i wait a bit, the markers will eventually become clickable. the way the clickability of the maps is actually implemented is the tiled marker images are loaded as one layer over a basemap, and then an invisible tiled UTFgrid layer is loaded on top of that. so when you click, you’re actually interacting with the UTFgrid, not with the marker layer. sometimes the marker layer is loaded and visible before the UTFgrid has fully loaded. so (some of) the markers may appear as if they are unclickable until their corresponding UTFgrid tile has loaded.

can you provide a specific example of this?

1 Like