Toggle between satellite and map view

I always see satellite view in iNaturalist. I have introduced several friends to the site/app recently. One friend always sees map view and wants to always see satellite view. I have searched the forums and help sections and see mention of toggling between the two views, but I don’t see the option to switch the view anywhere I am actually in the site. How exactly do you switch them? Where do you toggle the view when looking at a satellite or map when you go to “explore” or “observations”? I also looked in my Profile and Account Section and saw no mention of maps at all.

Hi, welcome! Can you be more specific? Which pages on the website, which app(s), etc.?

:arrow_down:

I thought there was a simple map toggle, but you’re right, there isn’t. Strange…

1 Like

Hi @frankmullerphoto, it’s in the upper left of most maps throughout the website:

On the Explore or Your Observations pages:

On Edit observations:

On taxon pages:

On projects:

There is a bug lately on Identify where the buttons are oversized and not clickable:

3 Likes

It was on Observations and I stumbled upon the answer. Just click on the Layers symbol that looks like 3 vertically oriented black squares and a drop down offers satellite of map!

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! It was on Observations and I stumbled upon the answer and signed back here to note the solution and saw your detailed answer. As you noted, you just click on the Layers symbol that looks like 3 vertically oriented black squares and a drop down offers satellite of map! “Layers” seemed to me to be a place I’d ADD layers of data, not switch maps. I sent the answer to my friend.

Thanks!

Ah, that’s what I forgot!

It was on Observations and I stumbled upon the answer and signed back here to add the solution. You just click on the Layers symbol that looks like 3 vertically oriented black squares and a drop down offers satellite of map! “Layers” seemed to me to be a place I’d ADD layers of data, not switch maps. I sent the answer to my friend.

Another User had also posted the detailed solution with screen shots.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.