Trouble with Multiple Forum Drafts

Creating multiple drafts in the forum is sometimes not possible. Here are 3 ways I’ve found to create drafts:

• Start replying to a topic or post, select cancel, select Save draft for later
  • Start replying to a topic or post, select the reply arrow, select Reply as a linked topic
  • Select New Topic from the main forum page or the search results

The first option is always possible. The next 2 are only possible if there are no other existing drafts. In the second option, this message shows up:
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 2.07.02 PM
In the third option, the New Topic button is replaced by an Open Topic button on the main forum page. However, there is still a New Topic button on the search results, and selecting it gives this message:
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 2.08.37 PM
This is the same message as when attempting to add a reply to a topic which already has an open draft. In that case it makes sense, but in this case it doesn’t because “this topic” doesn’t refer to anything. It’s also annoying that there is no cancel option. Instead you have to select Resume editing, cancel, Save draft for later.

This is all frustrating because it’s not possible to have multiple drafts open unless they’re replies to existing topics or posts. I looked around the Internet and found some workarounds, but not any real solutions.

I’ve also had some strange issues where canceling deleted a draft (instead of giving the prompt to save it) or drafts didn’t save properly. Those have been less consistent though and I haven’t found any patterns.

1 Like

Discourse issue, not something iNat staff can fix I don’t think.

4 Likes

Yup, Discourse issue. You can contact Discourse here: https://www.discourse.org/contact

This bugs me to no end. I don’t have a solution for you. Staff can customize quite a few things about the forum, but to my knowledge this is not one of them.

4 Likes

I realized this was probably a Discourse issue, but most other online threads suggested that they didn’t even have a draft option so I wasn’t sure how customizable this was.

2 Likes

The only editable draft setting I see is how long before a draft is auto deleted (set at the default of 180 days). And I agree it can be pretty frustrating. :/

1 Like