Wandering locations

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform: iOS

App version number, : 13.6.1

Browser, Safari

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Description of problem When I make an observation in certain locations, I routinely

  1. Make the observation/take the photo
  2. Edit the observation to geoprivacy obscured
  3. Check that the map IDs the observation in the correct location
  4. Add the Genus and species ID
  5. Upload the observation

For several observations, I have found that the map location I SEE is not where I observed the organism, but instead defaults to a scattered location that is typical for “public view” obscured locations. When I click on the “open” geoprivacy, it still gives the same map location several miles away.

I uploaded these observations -62247400 and 62246892 to see what would happen… and now I get a completely different map location for each of them in the app, but the correct location on the website.

As long as the website is correct, all is well I suppose, but it’s still strange.

1 Like

On those you have location set as hidden.

Hi @valt, I believe this is the same issue, previously reported: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/gps-coordinates-do-not-pull-up-correctly-on-map-in-ios-app-v-3/16943/

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the same issue, which I also find vexing. It will be fixed in a future update.


Closing to focus report at one topic.