Welcome to the club, New Zealand! (Countries and regions with more than 1m verifiable observations)

We should keep our eyes on Portugal, and probably Austria this year :)

3 Likes

My dad and I did that my senior year in high school (pre camera days). It really was gorgeous and a lot of empty. Would love to go back

3 Likes

You bet that I will be checking this on a daily basis :smirk:

Changed the title a bit.

2 Likes

Portugal made it! Congratulations, BioDiversity4All!

Argentina next…

8 Likes

But not one Taraxacum algarbiense. Which goes to show that having a million observations doesn’t mean that everything has been observed.

2 Likes

There’re less than 15k species observed in Portugal, so they’re definitely far from observing every macro species found there.)

Maybe already observed/documented but not or incorrectly IDed?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about Argentina being next… they’re heading into the winter. A chance for Austria to catch up and get there first perhaps… ;)

1 Like

The pace in Argentina considerably slowed down this month, but the lead is way to large - only 10.000 missing, in contrast to 45.000 for Austria.

Unless someone uploads a camera roll full of old obervations, that is…
I will ask around :wink:

3 Likes

I had to stay awake to capture the moment - and now I am tired and happy :blush:

Welcome, Argentina!
ÂĄBienvenidos a bordo! :argentina:

IMG_20230407_005704

Now, all eyes on the next country - not far behind both in observation counts and position in the alphabetically ordered country list :grin:
I tried my best to push those numbers …

10 Likes

Ohh, don’t tell me that Vienna project meetup next weekend is just a trick to get people to help with breaking the one million!

1 Like

And I have no doubt that prognosis will be spot-on!
Gonna happen on the first day of the CNC :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ll get my congratulations in early… because frankly I’m going to be too busy when it happens!!

Congratulations Austria! :tada:

2 Likes

Ahh, so close, can only be a few hours away now…

1 Like

Congratulations, Austria!

6 Likes

And nice species count as well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, I didn’t expect the species count to also go up by 10 in two hours. Wonder if there’s any way to figure out which 10 species have been added today.

[Edit] One of the species seems to be Orchis simia, a species of orchid someone posted for Austria yesterday for the first time :open_mouth:

1 Like

And these are the most observed organisms in Austria :

Kind of surprised that “Asian Lady Beetle” beats the Mallard by about 600, and that a snail is close behind the Mallard

4 Likes

Wow that’s awesome! Well done NZ! <3

1 Like