What animal sounds can you mimic?

What animals sounds are you good at mimicking?

I am good with certain cuckoos, and here’s a random vocal whistle I can make (I can’t make a aerodynamic whistle by sucking)

The only thing is that: Human voices inherently have multiple pitches connected to each other, by the way they vibrate. Thus, there is some residue, unlike the pure whistles of the birds.

I can also do a gecko-like trill.

What can you do?

1 Like

I’m pretty good at meowing, usually enough to confuse stray cats who come check it out.

Out of curiosity, what did you use for those transforms?

2 Likes

I can do a decent Golden Frog call. I can often get goats and cows to respond back to me, and various cat noises aren’t difficult.

In Bolivia I learned to make a pretty good Spidermonkey call (which is actually a kind of disturbing call). I can do a Cat Ba Langur call, but not very loudly.

Sometimes I can get owls to hoot back at me, and when I hear certain birds making simple calls I can sometimes mimic them closely enough to get them to call back, but I can never remember the call to do it independently of them.

2 Likes

I can do a very good cricket-like whistling that works well to break the ice during those awkward silences at meetings. Haven’t tried it to lure female crickets yet.

4 Likes

i can do the call of peacock, asian koel, purple sunbird

1 Like

I can do passable renditions of the songs of the Black-capped Chickadee, White-throated Sparrow and Eastern Screech-Owl. Maybe others. Anything that is a whistle. Mimicking the patterns of bird songs are usually easy, but mastering tone is difficult.

I wonder if anybody could duplicate the song of a Winter Wren? Both the pattern and tone of that song would be staggeringly difficult to mimic.

2 Likes

I can do a passable crow call (several of my family members can do ravens, but I’ve never been able to figure it out). Also frogs, sometimes cats, and chicks peeping.

1 Like

Lesser Goldfinch, Great Horned Owl

1 Like

I can mimic some birds like indian cuckoo, malabar whistling thrush, white cheeked barbet, asian koel, Oriental scops owl and also cat, goat and all. I used to mimick(Or at least try to mimick) animals during childhood. But it’s been a long time since I mimicked any :grinning:

3 Likes

Huh, good question. I can do a decent Red-shouldered Hawk, Carolina Chickadee, and White-throated Sparrow.

1 Like

As a kid I always wanted to be a marine biologist and work with dolphins. I’d spend hours mimicing their vocalisations of any species i could find. A few years ago, now in my 30’s, swimming in florida i saw a bottlenose pod out by the first sandbar, quite far away and I was thinking it was a shame I wasn’t a surfer so it would be hard to see them closer. Then I remembered the calls I would mimic, and decided what the heck and tried a few of the sounds I remembered. It didn’t work. But then I thought hey, uh, duh, they are under water, so I stuck my head in the water and tried again. One broke off from the pod, swam right at me and I started to think maybe I said something mean and this was a horrible idea, as seeing a dolphin pulling such speed right at ya is a bit disconcerting! But it diverged last second and did a loop around me on it’s side looking up at me, then sped off back to the pod. Best. Day. Ever. I’m sure it was thinking wtf is the dumb human saying.

So…I can kinda mimic? well enough to be a curiosity at least!

5 Likes

I can do a Canada Goose well enough to get passing geese to respond and a Western Screech Owl well enough to get the owls to think I’m an idiot. American Crow and Common Raven. American Bullfrog. I’ve read enough books to children that I have down my personal interpretations of cow, horse, pig, goat, sheep, chicken, duck, dog, cat, monkey, etc. Oh, and I do a solid impression of a human. I’ve been trying to work on my fox, but I can’t figure out what the fox says.

5 Likes

One of my coolest experiences was ‘talking’ back and forth with a Great-Horned Owl. I’ve also had some decent luck with calling a Barred Owl. Undoubtedly though, they’re laughing at me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Decent with various North American birds vocalizations, but proudest of my Varied Thrush. My Willow Ptarmigan doesn’t sound much like the original but I think it deserves an A for effort

2 Likes

I once experienced an exchange with a Roadrunner. It hopped up on a rock near me and made this trill sound which was rather like the air power tool that car wheel lug-nuts are removed with only slowed way down as if very low air pressure. I made the sound back and it responded. Very spiritual moment since Roadrunners are usually moving away rapidly.
Now I’m curious what my own spectrograms might look like.

2 Likes

I can do most eastern north american owls, black-capped chickadee, white-throated sparrow, both black- and yellow-billed cuckoos, american crow. My best one is definitely common raven, i’ve had them come in really close from what was a good distance away when i first started. fun stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I can do a pretty decent great horned owl, though I can’t get quite as low as they can. I can also do an Eastern screech, but only if I’ve recently heard one. Otherwise I lose that sort of breathy, trailing note they have. I can also manage a peacock pretty closely, and a housecat about exactly. I can’t whistle at all, so that rules out most birds.

1 Like

I don’t think OP has responded yet but I like Spek for it’s simplicity (http://spek.cc). Most audio editing tools have a plugin or the like, though.

Well you can’t just say that and not show it off.

3 Likes

I can do very passable cat calls of many types and new born kittens mews. Admittedly, since I got a chipped tooth fixed, my formerly super realistic kitten sqwee is now much more difficult to do and only passable: :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I can bray, before I hit puberty I could make elk sounds as well as whinny

I can also make the “classic” cougar growl which is the one movies think leopards and Jaguars make

2 Likes