Where is original photo file name?

Where can I find my original file name on the photos I have uploaded. I find all the metadata of the photo but not the original file name, which is very important for me to reference to my files.

2 Likes

Don’t think it is saved, I wanted to add a request to have it as an option, but you can do it too!

1 Like

It was my understanding that they intentionally did not include file names in metadata since some people name their files like Location_ID.jpg and leaving the locations accessible makes it easier for poachers to find rare species that would otherwise be obscured. I definitely don’t want my file names released at least.

2 Likes

You can store it in observationfield '‘Original File name of photo’ (what if your observation has more then one photo?) or if you add the filename as a tag in your photo it will be stored to.

Yes, that’s why I think it should be an optional setting, I have 15k of photos from this spring, it takes up to 10 mins for folder to sort them in date order from file name order which is more useful for me. I personally don’t rename those and DSC_xxxx won’t help a poacher or a stalker.
@optilete it is a way, but that’s clearly a lot of work. For my aim I’m okay with one name from any photo, but somebody else is probably not.

2 Likes

I put my image file names, or rather the image number, in the “Notes” field of the observation. If there are more than one image in the obs, I use 4063/4/5. At times it is important to be able to go back to the original images and this is the best way of doing it, particularly if I have taken a large number on a single day.
I would be more convenient for me, if it could be taken from the metadata.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.