Wild Achievements

@Ajott There are a few achievements for which the “View Observations” feature doesn’t work well. It’s something I still need to get around to improving.

Pretty cool.

That’s terrific. Good job.

Super Cool.

1 Like

Every time we get closer to making nature observations into PokemonGo in reality) Very perspective idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, as Henry said now it appaers so.

e.g. those two are shown for that achievement:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/146603054
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/146685575

There is a second one that is even worse.

But just to be clear … I enjoy all of it and hope not to appear as nit-piggy … It´s fine for me if there are some minor bugs :-)

Only works for observations, not identifications :sweat_smile: Cute idea though.

Right. It’s up for me for a whole day, nothing changed from the 10k point, so I think I’m gonna close it soon as it’s pointless.

1 Like

Two achievements in 6 years. I guess some of us are just wastrels.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that. In your case I note that you primarily spend time identifying which is a very important part of the machine that makes iNaturalist hum.

Wild Achievements has a bias towards observation. The ap states:

Various fun achievements can be unlocked by analyzing your observations on iNaturalist.

Upload more observations on iNaturalist.org to try and unlock all achievements!

1 Like

I love the idea but I can’t get it to load more than half of my observations. Yesterday it made it nearly halfway, with many restarts, but wouldn’t load any further than that. Today I tried again and it only made it a quarter of the way before saying

Calculating the Wild Achievements from the 0 new observations…

and not loading any further.

Maybe this is the beta version? We’re helping to test it?

Additional to it being stuck, it also shows this:

1269% completed of what achievement?
You’ve tried to click on those? It will show one what qualified for that 100% portion or fraction there of from what I can tell.

It’s true for some, but not all:

It was from “not a bug”

1 Like

Ooh, so much fun! I always loved the slightly game-like aspects of iNat.

Surprised that rodents are the only taxonomy-based achievement I have above novice-- guess all my squirrel obs. payed off :P

3 Likes

@henrydelange This is tons of fun and an impressive piece of code. Out of curiosity (feel no pressure to address it, it doesn’t bother me) any idea why only some species marked “threatened” count towards “Heart of the Matter?”

The achievement counts the Northern Tree Cholla, Common Grackle, and Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, but not the American Alligator, Central American Squirrel Monkey, Central American Spider Monkey, Black Spiny-Tailed Iguana, Common Raven, or Atlantic Puffin, even though all of those species are marked “threatened” on Inaturalist.

22 posts were split to a new topic.

Same issue with me and same message, stops at ~1600 observations, though initially it loaded quite a few more.

I got a kick out of it saying I’m 11,124% complete for Name Giver. :-) It’s a really fun idea. It takes forever to load when you have as many observations as I do (I stopped it before it was completed).

If it were possible to personalize the parameters of the achievements after achieving Expert or Legend, I think that would make it more fun.

3 Likes