Wild Achievements

I like it, other than the processing speed.

Do you have a full list of achievements and their targets?

Looks like there are 35 achievements. Part of the initial fun is seeing the achievements show up and wonder…oh, what is this? Then clicking on it to try and figure out how that is defined…feeds on the inner curiosity of a naturalist. It would be nice to be able to just pick one achievement to see how one is doing in that category but that would mean revealing what achievements are available. Maybe once one has an achievement revealed, the record it kept, and that single achievement can be refreshed on its own? Might reduce the fetch stress. Might require a login.

1 Like

For me I believe it was 1400 observations, so that same general area.

Gotta catch 'em all!

Three years ago, when I uploaded a freshwater mussel and snail just to find out what they were, I never imagined that I would enjoy the gamification aspects of iNat (and the forum – earning badges pleases me), but it turns out I do. But if I think of it another way – aren’t birders who keep a checklist essentially gamifying it in the same way? When I look at it like that, I was already doing this before my internet days, marking first-sighting dates in my hardcopy field guides. These achievements just add another layer besides just collecting species.

Now if I could just be in the right place at the right time to observe that pidgeotto…

10 Likes

Indeed! Weirdly enough, gamifying nature observation has made me more attentive and motivated to nature. Where previously I cared mostly about charismatic tetrapods – big mammals, birds of prey, colorful birds – making every species “count” has helped motivate me to really get in the weeds and keep an eye out for oddities.

6 Likes

I’m glad to hear that most people are enjoying it and having fun. That is the intention, to have fun and enjoy nature and maybe learn something new in the process! :blush:

I’ll way in briefly on the whole gamification thing. I really don’t see what the fuss is about. What’s wrong with games? As others here have pointed out, most likely the vast majority of us here “gamify” ourselves, for example by making bird lists while on holiday or getting up early to have a chance of spotting an elusive critter. That said I do find those “5-10-15-20 Insects” kind of badges very drab and boring, and I think much of what makes iNaturalist fun is lost in that process. That’s why I tried to come up with something that is hopefully a bit more fun. I also like the way the achievements can make you remember old observations in a fond way.

PS.
The past week (and coming weeks) are a bit hectic on my side at work, so it might take a while before I can finish implementing some of the suggestions or fixes mentioned here, so if you enjoy this then maybe check in again in a month or two. :wink:

8 Likes

Actually, if people do care to ask me what I am doing with all those pictures I take on hikes ect… I do explain my fascination for iNat with Pokemon (although I myself actually never played it) or Geocaching “Gotta catch them all” :-) … for me the gamification process (self-made or what the sites and people like you provide) is what drives me. Next goal - 1000 species.

btw. the site does not work anymore on firefox… does not even catch my name
It did have struggle on Chrome s well this week, but that seems to work a bit better at the moment, but gets stuck after some time (2000 obs in my case) even if I reload the page

Wow, considering you joined iNat in August of 2022, you certainly have a lot of IDs for others! Around 170 days on iNat with a current total as me checking of 21,278, that’s about 125 IDs daily. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

… And sometimes they’re even right! :P But thank you so much!

3 Likes

Are you planning on the updates for it? It now says that it browses all of my observations using this link https://wild-achievements.mywild.co.za/?user=marina_gorbunova&limit=67000, but stats don’t line up, e.g. it says I saw 2 seastars instead of 3, it’s not a big thing, but I wonder if something that is missed for some reason could contribute to other achievements and lead to showing new ones.

Ooh, sometime since I last checked new achievements were added! I noticed “always on” – anyone know what that one’s for?

2 Likes

Looks like I need some work LOL

Whoof. That one might have to stay incomplete for a while.

The ‘Old Geeser’ Achievement gives me observations that shouldn’t qualify according to the description (don’t want to spoil here)

1 Like

It worked very smoothly this morning for me

I have one 3y old observation and have a score of “3 of 10”.

Same! Presumably they’ll qualify in 7 more years…

Does anybody know what this should be? Can’t do anything for the rest opened now and don’t really understand what’s about one observation that qualifies for me and the picture. Cause it seems to be about animals in air, ground and water, but I have observations of all of them and yet only one observation of a bat is there.
And for the old geeser https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d2=2013-01-01&place_id=any&taxon_id=6912&user_id=marina_gorbunova&verifiable=any these all should qualify, but it says 7/10?

Not sure but maybe it’s aquatic, flying, and burrowing mammals – based on the thumbnail something like 9 observations of bats, moles, or cetaceans.