Your top 10 most identfied

I have this bookmarked from when it was offered in the forum
https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

1 Like

Thank you! I will save that one too :-)

1 Like

Plants. Lots of plants. I’m surprised that Veratrum viride is number one for me! Number 11 is Eastern Gray Squirrel, though.

8 Likes

The “identified” tally does not include identifications of one’s own observations. Just how iNaturalist runs.

1 Like

Nothing but plants in my top 500! I am surprised to have some bird and insect identifications.

11 Likes

I wasn’t surprised it was largely North American herps but I was surprised Snapping Turtle was actually ahead of Common Garter Snake (and my actual favorite NA snake, the copperhead). I guess they’re just that easy to ID.

8 Likes

This pretty neatly summarizes my current interests:

12 Likes

No surprises here. This pretty much summarizes my bird-identifying days.
What I find more interesting is everything excluding birds:

6 Likes

That is a fun twist!
If I exclude spiders, it indeed gets a bit surprising for me, as it is much more mixed. Would have thought most of the rest might be insects, but there is even one plant in there (admittably one of the easiest plants I guess :-))

2 Likes

All but one in my top 15 are, unsurprising, Euphorbias. An extremely common Texas Oenothera crept into the ranking, though. I am a little surprised that there are that many members of subg. Esula in the top 15. It makes sense as they are generally much easier to ID from photos than other Euphorbia groups, but also are less memorable to me.

9 Likes

Mostly owls in my top 15. The only surprise is how high up spurge nettle and coral bean are.

6 Likes

and much appreciated

2 Likes

This was neat to look at and also not at all surprising! I primarily switch from a focus on snakes (or other herps) to a focus on birds rather than a focus on a specific location. The first non-herp/non-bird top ID is at 76!

I’m impressed with everyone else’s number of identifications here. It just tells me I need to procrastinate my work more by identifying on iNat (pretty easy lately), haha.

7 Likes

This is a bit embarrassing, actually. These are all common, easily identified species, and the reason they’re at the top of my list is that a year or two ago I was searching for them on Identify to get easy IDs - basically, to feel like I was doing something useful without putting much work in.

11 Likes

Common for you, exotic for others. The Bluebirds, the American Crow vs Raven, and Canada Goose vs Cackling Goose need attention to details.

1 Like

Fish crows and American crows can also be very difficult to differentiate where their ranges overlap, including my home state of Rhode Island.

3 Likes

It is useful! I say as I work on identifying Wild Carrot.

1 Like

Cool link! Mine are all over the place, but seeing as how i am working through Alabama’s backlog of non-RG observations they are things very commonly photographed. The surprising thing is it doesn’t show things at species or complex, which I am sure I would see a couple other things high on the list if it were the case.

6 Likes

Dumb question: How are you getting the list sorted by number identifications? I can get the thumbnails for most observed but none of the filters do anything for identify.

The link is in the main post.

1 Like