Your top 10 most identfied

Not shocking, considering I spend a lot of time identifying leps, especially in the eastern US. I mainly do caterpillars, so the ones that stall out above species because they’re poorly documented or indistinguishable as caterpillars aren’t counted here. Most common non-lep species is the mallard duck (#23).

8 Likes

Cool Skippers!

2 Likes

This is a really fun thread. Definitely not surprised by the tenebs, I think I’m the #1 ID-er (and observer!) for P. diabolicus, though its a shame this can only show species/genus level since I generally ID springtails which can’t be identified to species (or even genus most of the time) without microscopy.

9 Likes

Yep! The two species have several advantages over other skippers in this contest: they’re pretty widespread and distinctive in North America as both caterpillars and adults, and they feed on legumes, including some common garden ones. So they’re both pretty easily observed and IDed compared to, say, grass skippers

1 Like

I’m still getting started on iNat.
In Australia, magpies are pretty common place and observation data on them not that useful for conservation.
So why do i ID them?
Because i think they’re magnificent birds.
I love to watch, observe and ‘talk’ to them.
Taking photos of them is relatively easy as they’re not timid… so you can often get a good photo.
I think people overseas would agree that they’re a beautiful bird.
However, they are known to swoop during breeding season so many here fear them.:joy:

8 Likes

Most of these make sense, but the shark was a surprise!

5 Likes

I don’t have very many observations, but two species that were on my top identified, the Rock Pigeon and Northern Mockingbird, were also in my top 10 observed. The pigeon was even in the same place in both lists!

Interesting question.

Well, for me it does not change a lot when I count the IDs I did on my own observations in, only place 9 and 10 swapped places, thats all.
But I also only observed those top 10 a total of 70 times (with 3 species I do not know from personal experience at all actually), which does not do a lot, considering the numbers of IDs I did for those 10 taxa.

The top ten ID does also not reflect my top ten observed. Only species that is in both list is Argiope argentata … one has to got all the way to number 60 to find the next species from my top 10 identified in my observation list

1 Like

Are the Northern Cardinal common? Shy?

I am from Australia and just think that they’re such a beautiful bird :)

2 Likes

They are pretty common in the east, here in the west they are rarer, except for in a few areas (and a good chunk of Arizona). They really are quite beautiful birds!

1 Like

I identify plants and observe pollinators. I’m not so good with flies and moths and wasps even though I photograph many, so plenty of others help me.

3 Likes

Not too surprising a list, since I have a slight preference towards Lepidoptera of Hong Kong. But I’m a bit surprised how far I have to scroll down to my first non-Lep species: Nephila pilipes at #39.

4 Likes

Since you are Protea man. Does the balance change if you exclude Proteaceae and look at the also rans instead?

Like mackieroni said, they’re common in the East, and not very shy. You’ll usually see a handful every day if you look (at least where I live in the Midatlantic). You kind of forget how beautiful they are, so I’m glad to be reminded of it.

1 Like

I did not know that Maratus could be found in New Zealand!
I thought they were only in Australia! :smile:

1 Like

The tale of Maratus griseus is one of identity crisis. It’s had about 4 taxon changes in the same number of years. I believe it’s been in Trite, Maratus, Hypoblemum, and back to Maratus. Despite all this, it just carries on hopping.

3 Likes

WRT Your query regarding if:

WRT identifications both in my preferred area and the rest of the world, nine of the species in both scenarios, including the deer, can be found in or seen from our yard.

1 Like

You inspired me to do the same. Again, not many surprises: each of the top two are species that I went on a spree of specifically looking for to identify, and number four was a side effect of number one.

The only surprise is that number 9 wasn’t higher in the list; in the Caribbean area, for which I do disproportionately more identifying, it is one that I come across quite often – though admittely not as often as the ubiquitous number 6.

The first non-plant, number 15, is the ever-popular “Human.”

3 Likes

I’m a generalist but my list is skewed towards Cephalopods. Developed a passion for them when I used to scuba dive.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this link @Ajott !
Not only is it fun to see the results, it makes an easy & organized way to review my IDs, and to notice taxa where the “cover” photo needs curation (to improve the search image provided).
I don’t know how to insert the screen shot like the rest of you, but suffice to say my top 10 IDs are no surprise since they are plant taxa I have been deliberately focusing on for cleanup on iNat: certain willows, potentillas, oxytropes, and one sedge that is just low-hanging fruit :-)

5 Likes