Add an outline to the sound icon

Platform(s), such as mobile, website, API, other: Website

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant:

Description of need:
Describe the iNaturalist community need that your requested feature addresses. Include screenshots, URLs, and other details to help us all understand the issue.

When using a dark theme (which I use everywhere, on all devices), the black sound icon disappears from sight. Which is why I have already switched to a lighter shade for the iNat website; yet it still repeatedly escaped my attention – here’s an example of what I mean:

In this particular instance I asked in a comment where the bird was because I just couldn’t find it in the photo. Only after posting did I realize that the actual observation was an audio file and the photo was only for context!

Feature request details:
In detail, describe the feature you are requesting. This includes its functionality, where the feature is implemented, and what it might look like. Screenshots or mock-ups are helpful. The idea is to have a concrete and actionable request which the community can discuss and vote on. It might change through discussion, but it’s much easier to iterate and talk about something specific.

A simple frame would suffice, like the one for the picture thumbnails. Which might also come in handy for when we will eventually have a dark theme for the mobile app… ;-)

Landscape photo is better to not be posted just as an addition to audio, so you were correct to ask about it anyway!

How do I turn on the dark theme for the website?

You’ll have to use a browser extension, iNat doesn’t support dark theme natively.

1 Like

Follow the last link in my post, there is an example for Firefox and Dark Reader.

1 Like

I would disagree, Marina. I find it extremely useful to see the environment where the sound was recorded.

You can add photo in comments, all files in observation should contain the organism, that’s the rule of iNat and was discussed many times.

1 Like

That may be so, but that doesn’t change the fact that I find the extra info about the environment extremely useful. In many books about bees or dragonflies there are lots of photos of landscapes showing the habitat where the various species live. If I may paraphrase John Donne: No organism is an island. :-)

It’s fairly easy to post a photo in a observation comment for everyone to see. It’s not like observation files is the only place on website to see the habitat. Plus there’s a description to add and map that give that info too. Photos like that are going into database, representing that taxon, go to GBIF as if organism is there.

1 Like

I find that extra information also useful, and as Marina said, there are solutions for this
See e.g. this observation of mine, where I did not manage to spot the cricket but wanted to attach a habitat photo:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/126118961

All you need is a url of the place where the photo is stored

2 Likes

We won’t be amending iNat to support third party extensions like this. However, definitely something to keep in mind if we create a dark mode for the site.