Add follow option to users in the app

Platform(s) - Android App - Pixel 3 Device

Description of need:
I do not understand how this basic feature is not available in app. Why can’t you follow a user from their observation page? You are only given the option to view their photo or send them a message. I would like an easy way to follow a user directly from their observations page on the app.

Feature request details:
Instead of the message icon on the top right of a users profile, you could have a three dot or three line dropdown menu where you could choose to message them, or follow/unfollow their page if you’re already following them. I’m not sure what other options could be involved.

I approved this, but will note that currently there is not a way to use the app to view observations of users you follow, see related feature request: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/view-observations-by-people-youre-following-on-android-app/6509

So part of the explanation for why this doesn’t currently exist is that it would have limited utility if you couldn’t also view the content of those you follow.

2 Likes

I’m going to close this request as we’re not updating the current mobile apps and don’t have plans to add this feature in the new app for the foreseeable future.