Adding Observations to Projects

I just recently created a project, and I have a few questions regarding how to add more observations (from other observers) to it. Of course, I’ve read the Managing Projects article, so I’m aware of its project outreach methods. However, I’d like to know if there are any other methods that can be used to attract others. Also, is it acceptable to manually add observations from other observers to this project?

1 Like

I have a Fantastic Flowers ( https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/fantastic-flowers ) project that I made to use as a source of fun examples for my botany class, and I manually add other people’s observations to that. No one has complained. If people have strong feelings about it, they can set their iNat account so that only they can place their observations in a project. You’ll get a little message telling you that you can’t add the observation if you try it and the user has opted in to that setting.

4 Likes

Why did you create a traditional project for that purpose though? Collection would work much better and with ease.

1 Like

From what I see, there isn’t an option for just “coast” or “shoreline” for my state. There is one called “New England Shoreline,” but it’s not very helpful for recording wildlife at the coast. It gets very broad in certain areas, covering the majority of Rhode Island instead of just the shore.

You can create your own place.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll try that out.

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you create your own place?

1 Like

https://www.inaturalist.org/places/new

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I apologize, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to make a new place. I can’t figure out how to make a KML.

1 Like

You can e.g. draw them via creating a project in Google Earth, just google how to create a kml file.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to load Google Earth, but it doesn’t work.

What do you mean? It takes time usually, try opening it again.

1 Like

I’ve tried, it’s been loading for 30 minutes, but all it shows is a black screen.

No, you need to reopen it again, unless you have some browser extentions blocking it, it loads in ten seconds. If it stops loading I open a new page.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s a browser extension, but that could be why. I think it’d be easier to just add observations manually to the project.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.