All but one photos in a new observation duplicated

Yes, still experiencing it.

Chrome version is: 96.0.4664.45 on Windows 10

It only happens when dragging a single photo to another observation/card; it does not happen when dragging a card with multiple photos to another card. But dragging a card with only one photo to another card does duplicate the photo from the dragged card. Only the dragged photos are duplicated and not the photo on the card you are dragging to.

It does not happen when I use the “combine” feature.

Thank you for your attention to this!

Tonight the same problem seems to be happening on Microsoft Edge also, but it wasn’t happening there 4 days ago when it was a problem with Google Chrome.

1 Like

I too am having this issue with multiple photos. I too thought that using microsoft edge alleviated the issue, but it’s still popping up.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101830120

I also can’t replicate in Chrome 96.0.4664.55 in my Mac. Is everyone experiencing this bug using a Windows device? If anyone can share a screen recording of the process, that would be really helpful.

Yes, using Windows here (see above post for more details). I don’t know how to create or share a screen recording, but would happy to do so if given instructions on how to do so. Thank you!

I started having this problem right about when this was posted. It happens to me using Microsoft edge. My duplicate photo is also a different size file than the original.

Screen shots of the bug from Microsoft edge:

@Mossman13 - This should help! ᐅ How to take a screenshot (take-a-screenshot.org)

@pleary - Great suggestion! I just tried both meathods, and drag and drop causes the problem, but “combine” does not.

1 Like

Here is a link to a screen recording: https://vimeo.com/649720669/908624376d

I forgot to show this part, but the duplication also occurs if you click and hold a single photo and move it out but then put it back on the same card where you got it from (then you end up with two of exactly the same photo).

2 Likes

Just tested Chrom and I have the same problem.

1 Like

Same here, Brave browser. I deleted the duplicates and when I attempt to submit, it says " Some observations are missing media or identifications" which none are.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem on the Website in both Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) yesterday and Microsoft Edge Version 96.0.1054.34 (Official build) (64-bit) today on Windows computer.
The first photo does not duplicate, but all subsequent photos have a duplicate.

The duplicate images have different name, the ones uploaded via Microsoft Edge are longer, however the remainder of the information is also present:

This is a normal file name for the same image:

In Chrome, from memory, the duplicates seemed to be named large.jpg and the only a couple of the other file information fields were present.

1 Like

Still happening today, my browser is Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit).

1 Like

Could people that were experiencing this try again? A potential fix was deployed this morning. If you’re still experiencing it, could you please report your operating system (MacOS, Windows) and browser/version. It appeared this was only happening on Windows, so that information was key to debugging this - thank you to those that reported that info

2 Likes

I was experiencing the issue but now unable to upload an observation at all. Windows 10, Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit). After I choose a photo the screen returns to the upload page.

The same! Now adding observations became impossible. See also
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/web-upload-allows-to-choose-photo-but-does-not-continue-processing/28190
This may be the result of the attempt to overcome the bug of duplication photos by the Chrome browser under WIndows discussed above
(of which I was the topicstarter). My system is Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB. The same on another notebook with WIndows 10 Enterprise LTSB version 1809. The same with Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers.
I press the upload button, the screen appears as usual

I select a photo

I press ‘Open’
Nothing happens, no observation ‘card’ appears:

My son uses a smartphone, from the smartfone observations appear as should be.

Well that’s one way to fix photo duplication ;) Sorry - I accidentally broke file selection with that release (I’m a drag-and-dropper). File selection should be working again now

3 Likes

Now it works finely, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Working great for me as well! Huge thanks for fixing this issue. :)