Android blocking internet usage

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Device: XiaoMi RedMi Note 10 Pro, Android 12

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.28.15 (568)

Screenshots:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: I open the app and nothing new loads.

Step 2: I check my settings, it says that mobile data and wifi access are blocked, which I never did. (Screenshot 1)

Step 3: I unblock both and open the app. (Screenshot 2)

Step 4: In the app, i get a notification that internet is still blocked (Screenshot 3)

Step 5: I allow internet usage using the notification. Still nothing loads and the permissions for internet eventually resets to being blocked.

Additional details: I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, deleting app data, deleting the cache, restarting my phone, nothing seems to work. It also only seems to be affecting iNaturalist and no other apps. Seek seems to work fine.

Any potential help for this would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what to suggest, but there have been issues using iNat on XiaoMi products reported before:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/in-app-is-failing-to-work-properly-with-new-xiaomi-model-in-the-few-ways/25566

It’s the other way around - unticked = blocked.

Oh, i didn’t realize that, then i was confused by the wording, thanks for letting me know! Regardless, it still even when they are checked, the app is not loading… Which is why I was checking them in the first place. :/

Just for info I’ve just bought a Redmi Note 10 Pro and I’m not having any problems with the app…

1 Like

What actually happens when you open the app? What do you mean by “nothing new loads”? I assume that notification doesn’t show up anymore?

That’s correct the notification went away. Now when i open the app it shows me old observations, i have made new ones since on another device and these do not show up. When i go to explore it’s just a rotating green circle.

Can you please send us log files? To send log files, go to the About tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.

Hi Tony,

thanks for the tip! I just sent out my file, along with a link to this post. Hopefully that will help things out!

All the best
Wayne

Some good news, an update was offered and my app finally works again :).

2 Likes

Didn’t check to see you were using a beta version of the app, sorry about that. We released a new beta version and I think that’s what fixed this.