Android connectivity error ("The Internet connection appears to be offline") and observations won't sync

I’ve been having connectivity issues on the Android app for the last few months (I stopped using iNaturalist for most of this time because of them).

Essentially the species search feature comes up with a connectivity error, and when I go to upload observations it just sits in a loop from “in progress” to cancelled. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed the app several times. The problem doesn’t always happen if I don’t sign in (but it sometimes still does). I’ve tried deleting my observations back until March 2020 but that hasn’t done anything either. I am 100% sure that it is not my internet connection, having tried on both Wifi and mobile data, and this having been a persistent issue over months. I’m almost ready to give up on it all together.

Any ideas?

Hi @d_s_b, welcome to the iNat Forum and sorry you’re having issues with the Android app. Hopefully you’re able to use the website to upload/review observations in the meantime.

Can you please fill out the remainder of the bug report questions? Primarily, which version of the app are you using and what kind of device do you have? Can you attach screenshots of “the species search feature comes up with a connectivity error” and the detail view of an individual observation that won’t sync?

As well, have you tried sending a log report to the iNat staff yet? It’s best to do this right after the bug occurs. To send a log file, go to the Settings tab in the app and tap 3 times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log file and you can send it to Thanks!


I’m using version 1.19.3 on a Samsung Galaxy A70.

I will send a log file now.



Hey Daniel, thanks for sending your log files. A few other users are experiencing the same issue, I’m sorry it’s affecting you as well. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to pinpoint the cause, but we will be releasing an update soon that will help us debug the issue by doing some connections testing in the background when this situation crops up.

If you want, you can become a beta tester for our Android app and, when that release comes out, try it again and send us some more log files. That should helps us narrow down the cause.

You can become a beta tester here:


I am also having this issue when using as my preferred server. I’m getting the “The Internet connection appears to be offline” error message frequently when looking for identification suggestions on new observations. Sometimes it works, but more often it hasn’t. I’m using the latest version of the iNaturalist app on a new Samsung A71 with Android 10. I have signed up for the beta tester version of the iNaturalist app and will give that a try. I’ll look at creating some log files for you too, both with the current version and later with the beta versions I test.


1 Like

Thanks! We’ve received one helpful set of log files so far, but another one would be great.

OK, it took us some time to track down the issue and put out a potential fix, but it’s now included in the latest beta version of the app, 1.20.3 (434).

If you want to be a beta tester for iNat, please go to this link: It would really help us if you can test it out and let us know if it’s working in beta. Thanks!