Android: importing geotagged photo does not fill location

When I import an geotagged photo into the Android App iNaturalist the location stays empty. It would be nice if the coordinates would be get from the photo (or when the photo is not geotagged, from the GPS).

3 Likes

This happens to me from time to time. The issue seems to be the phone not properly putting the coordinates in and instead it “estimates” them based on the points it has for your phone before and after. When I look at the metadata, there’s a locality, but it’s labeled as estimated.

3 Likes

Can you share one of these images with help@inaturalist.org so we can take a look? My guess is that there aren’t coordinates in the metadata, which can happen if you take the photo quickly, before the camera app can get a location from the device.

1 Like

Same photo.other app does get coorduinates from the photo. l will send the photos and look in the exif if the coordinates are there…

1 Like

Sent e-mail, but I had different issues with version 1.11.26 350. Some geotagged photos are accepted, some are not. Maybe precision is an issue?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the photo you sent to help@inaturalist.org is importing fine into version 1.11.26 350. I replied to your email.

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/iphone-app-does-not-use-time-and-location-stamp-in-photo-exif/2581/5

This happens to me from time to time. The issue seems to be the phone not properly putting the coordinates in and instead it “estimates” them based on the points it has for your phone before and after. When I look at the metadata, there’s a locality, but it’s labeled as estimated.

True, this is indeed part of the problem. But also when a photo is geotagged is does not work the first day but when you retry it another day it works fine.

It seems you do not see it in the app but on iNaturalist it has a (wrong) location.

I have this problem occasionally when my data connection is slow. It doesn’t seem to be an issue with the photo data, only the transfer of said data (incomplete). Honestly, I generally just manually map it to resolve.

1 Like

Do you need an internet connection for showing the location in the android app after importing a geotagged photo? I had troubles in one of the biggest peat bogs in Belarus, I do not expect to have internet over there…

No or poor data is very probably the issue you had, optilete.the only time/place I have the issue is when initiating upload from a location where I have 3g-minus data speeds. If I wait until I am in 4g or on wifi to upload, there’s no issue.
Now, you do also need at least some amount of cell service for the photo to geotag correctly, so that would be another potential issue in your peat bog.

Actually I have gotten very accurately (maybe more accurately) geotagged photos when in Airplane Mode (cell service deliberately turned off). As long as you keep location services on, the phone will access the on-board GPS instead of trying to triangulate cell towers. To ensure that this happens, I keep a third-party GPS app running in the background (uses hardly any battery in Airplane Mode). The app I use is called “GPS Status” but there are many others available.

2 Likes

Seems that importing geotagged photos stops working after using the app for some time. I have no idea what triggers the app to start working again but I always does next day.

It should work like seek, what I do not use: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/seek-grabs-current-location-if-photo-lacks-geolocation/5019

You can see the geotag in the webbrowser: https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/45606487

not sure ıf ıt’s the problem of the same nature, but i loose everything altogether when uploading: location coordinates, identification and date - really annoying. have to go back and add all that mannually.
version 1.11.32 (356)

got a thread here
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/newly-uploaded-obs-lose-location-and-id-after-recent-18mb-update/5173

Not the same problem. When I import the photo into the app the location field stays empty. I do not loose it when I upload, I think it never exists within the app…

Adding two photos in the app did not get the location. Adding the third photo for the second time did retrieve the location from the geotagged photo.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/31850221

I’m encountering the same problem. I’m pretty sure the photos on my phone are geotagged as Location was switched on from before the trip. However, when I upload, the location refuses to be automatic - I have to manually set the location, which defeats the purpose of geotagged photos.

Do you see location in photo metadata or you just switched on location?
Did you try reinstalling the app? I had problems with location, but they went away with new app version.

i’ve noticed that even if a file contains EXIF data, sometimes some apps will not be granted access to that information (or something like that). for example, i had an app that theoretically allowed me to access my phone files on my computer as long as both had an internet connection (without having to connect the two devices by USB), but then the photos would lack EXIF data when viewed from the computer. i’m not sure exactly what the mechanism here is that causes these issues i’m describing, but it might be related to the problem being described in this thread.