App started to randomize the order of photos if to add them together from device and also removes description when adding them

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.29.5 (579)

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Interface of adding photos to an observation from device was recently changed (in a good way), but now there are two new bugs.

If to add few photos from the device together it adds them to observation in a random order. Before recently it was in order of choosing the photos. So now I need to add them one by one or to change order afterwards, both incredibly slow. I need to add them from the device in the field because your app is still failing to use a macro lens of my phone and I have to use the basic camera app when photographing small stuff (which I already reported over 2 years ago).

Also, before recently it was possible to add description first and to safely do anything in the creation of observation. But now if first to add description and then to add few photos from device it removes description when it goes back to interface of the observation creation. It slows a lot in the field, because an only thing that can be done in the creation of observation to not stop app from detecting coordinates more precisely was writing description. Now I have to wait for precise coordinates first and write description in the end (btw, it would be incredibly nice if the detection of coordinates in the app would not stop if to rotate screen, when choosing ID and when adding media from device or making new ones with app; precise coordinates is the only reason why I still use iNat app).

Moreover, in the new interface of adding photos from the device, if to scroll up slightly it closes back to the creation/editing of observation. It’s counter-intuitive and if to choose several photos and scroll up to check if nothing is missed it closes and everything should be selected again, very annoying.

Are you starting the process in your phone’s gallery and sharing to iNaturalist, or are you starting in iNaturalist and choosing to import photos into iNaturalist? If the latter, it might have to do with the recent changes to the Android photo picker.

I can replciate this and made a bug report: https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAndroid/issues/1296

1 Like

The latter. “Make a new observation with no media” + “choose images”, select and add few together.

Actually it’s probably not exactly random, if to add the same pictures few times it adds them in the same order. But I can’t figure out how it sorts them. Not by the order of choosing photos (tested) and not by the time/date of their creation (tested; maybe by the size or some other properties).