Application API key revoked?

I have been working on a mobile app sinds 2019, still in progress (…) Last week the app stopped working. Turns out the API key was revoked. Now I would like to regain access, first and foremost by understanding why it was revoked. However I did not receive any message about the matter, and I can’t find any information who to contact to solve this.

Is there anyone here who knows who to talk to? After 4 years and 1000+ hours of development, I would very much like to finish it and publish it in the Play Store and App Store.

contact help@inaturalist.org with an explanation of the problem, and you should get a response within a few days

Thanks a lot, sounds like a logical first step. I will give that a try.

To follow up on my own problem: I ended up requesting a new API key - only to run into the exact same problem. Apparently there was an error in the way I made the API token request. It had been there all along for years, but I assume the API only recently started checking that part of the request.

Long story short: the error message was misleading, but the error was mine.

can you elaborate?

i noticed something recently where i’m having to go through the authorization screen every time now ( https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/previously-authorized-3rd-party-apps-still-require-reauthorization/43045 ), and i wonder if it’s potentially the same kind of issue you ran into?

To be precisely, the redirect_uri parameter that I passed was different from the one listed in my application’s profile. So instead of passing “redirect_uri=web+myapp://authorized_redirect” I had been using “redirect_uri=https://myapp.com/authorized_redirect”. For my app it didn’t matter, so I had never noticed it myself.

No, that’s not it - I think they just shortened the time that the JWT is valid.

1 Like

thanks for elaborating. this seems different than what i’m noticing.

i’m not seeing this, but either way, i don’t think JWT or the authorization tokens are the issue in my case. i suspect there’s something that’s changed in the authorization workflow or settings on the server side, but i haven’t been able to track down then issue just from searching through the code. i’ll figure it out someday maybe…

thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.