Checkmarks for species on life list

I find the blue checkmark badges that eBird / Merlin display for species I’ve observed very useful whenever I am browsing them outside of the context my life list. I see a potential use of a similar badge in iNat too, to be able to see at a glance if I’ve previously seen a species some other user is reporting / discussing or when I am browsing observations and most frequent observed species list in the Explore screen. Has anything like this been suggested/discussed in the past?

eBird example

Merlin example

I like this idea, if it makes sense computationally/from the network standpoint.

There is a button on a taxon page to see your observations, but you have to click it to see if you have any:

8 Likes

Yeah this sounds like a good idea, and definitely save people some time searching through what species they’ve seen or not. I’m all for this idea.

3 Likes

Excellent feature! There would not be a single iNat session where I am not clicking on the taxa, then clicking on “View Yours” to either see if I have seen it before, or just to check on an observation of my own where I know I have a photo of a ventral view I can compare with, for instance. And then back again to the obs, or multiple tabs and so on…

If it were small icons like in the eBird app image above, and if they were clickable to take you to “View Yours”… actually, another thing I look at is establishment means, which also needs a check on the taxa page. It would be terrific if IDs in the observation page showed that icon (eg image ) as well as “Seen by you”. In my pinned specimens, for instance, I always add a colour line code to the determination labels to show establishment means, and it really helps to concrete in the distinction of endemic vs native vs introduced.

7 Likes

“View yours” could be an active link if you have observations of the taxon, and greyed out otherwise. It would quickly become obvious to a user how it works

8 Likes

Thanks for chiming in @deboas @kiwifergus @heyitshelios @charlie. Another use case for checkmarks is this proposal by @joeysantore / @jdmore. I don’t know if this would be doable, given the database structure, but I can definitely see myself perusing checkmark icons in the taxonomy view for a given genus to see which species I’ve previously observed or have yet to observe.

I also like a lot the suggestion that such a checkmark icon could act as a universal UI element within iNat pointing to one’s list observations for that taxon.

2 Likes

I was curious if someone from the iNat team could chime in on the technical feasibility of this proposal and whether it raises any concerns.

Just checked with our devs. It would probably slow down page loading on most of these pages even more, so if implemented it would only be in certain places. Are there any places where you all think it would be really useful to have?

At the taxa page would be good, although it could be as simple as greying out the “View Yours” button if there are none.

In the observation view, there are already icons beside the Display ID at the top of page, and having a blue tick icon for “Seen by you” would be really cool. This case would likely be too intensive generally, as observation views would be accessed considerably more frequently than taxa pages.

The super cool implementation of this would be for the first occurrence of each ID within the obs (sort of like how the Agree button works), so if there were 3 different suggestions, you could see which ones you have observations of yourself and could go looking for those to compare with.

It can be done as things are, but it means clicking on the ID taxa and opening in a new window, then clicking on View Yours, and doing this for each different taxa in the ID chain. If you can see visually at the observation page that you do or don’t have observations, then it would save time.

2 Likes

i think the effort would be better spent to enhance and make exportable the species view of your observations and/or updating personal checklists. i think the only place such a checkmark might make sense is on the taxon page, but even there, it gets potentially complicated because of the taxon hierarchy and community id vs observation id, etc…

edit: oh wait. the request is to base things off of the life list, which i would be opposed to because life lists are notoriously buggy.

3 Likes

Yeah, if implemented it wouldn’t be until we redo life lists, which we’re working on.

5 Likes

Thanks, @tiwane. Agreed with @kiwifergus, taxon pages would be the most obvious place to start with this. Ideally, I would love to see them as annotations in the taxon links that appear in the dashboard or in the ID section of individual observations, but this would make them ubiquitous in iNat.

I should note that on ebird.org these lifelist checkmarks on taxon pages are generated via client-side requests to their API.

2 Likes

This feature will be great. For me, this will be most useful on searching results page, like tags N and IN, on photos. Something like this:

3 Likes

Like this idea!
Maybe it would be useful to see these checkmarks only on the species’ lists - like on the explore page when you click to show all species or on the pages of places.

2 Likes

I think it is easy to achieve using browser add-ons for custom scripts like Tampermonkey. I have tried to do it by myself, but my skill is not enough. I think somebody with moderate JavaScript knowledge can do it easily.
Some useful api links I have found:
https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/api+reference
https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/

1 Like

I would love to see this implemented! I think it would make “collecting” observations so much more fun and rewarding as well as encouraging to see your progress, especially for new users who capture common species to search for more they haven’t found. I want to propose a similar idea I had recently for desktop, though it could be implemented on mobile in the future, which is this:

SmartSelect_20221130_184954_Samsung Notes

“Research grade” as green, “needs ID” as yellow, and “casual” as grey, with nothing shown if the number = 0. This could appear next to any species’ (and maybe genus?) name on the site, and maybe in the corner for grid view. I think this could be another rewarding way to see your data numbers go up as you contribute to the site data.
It would also be useful for them to be hyperlinks that take you to said observations. For example, if I click on the green icon next to ‘spotted orbweaver’, it would take me straight to these search results.

With the issue of page loading time, while it’s not an issue for me, I understand it could be for others. I think a fix for this would be to have a section in settings that allows you to enable/disable what shows on pages, as I think the key to this idea would be customization since every user uses the website differently, and this would be a rather large and important feature. Here’s an example I made that would be in “Content & Display” that should please everyone.

Total observation count icons could be white with black text and outline, linking to all observations of the species, and checkmarks could also link to all observations. Checkmarks for all pages could probably be the default setting until users explore customization options.

On the topic of checkmarks, maybe they could only be displayed if at least one observation is RG, and display a clock icon (pending approval) instead if there are only “needs ID” posts.
I think this would greatly encourage users to pursue RG IDs, which in turn could help clean up the site, as there’s currently no real encouragement for getting posts to RG. Users will likely want to avoid this, meaning better quality data is encouraged, and unidentifiable data is slightly and indirectly discouraged.

I think this would be useful in a wide range of applications, and I’m full of ideas for this, but these are just my thoughts, so take what you want. Would love to see something like this added soon. Cheers!

1 Like

It would probably never happen, but I’d love something like this:

8 Likes

I found some workaround. The browser add-on: Highlight This. It highlights words on webpage from a preloaded list:

I described it in more detail in this thread: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inat-useful-browser-plugins/38936

1 Like

It’s straightforward to do (in some form) from the client side; I could add it to my Chrome extension pretty easily. Here’s a proof of concept:

@silversea_starsong’s request should also be doable, I think, but that would be separate.

Any interest in these features?

3 Likes

The topic is pretty old but I stand 100% behind this idea

1 Like