Closed by moderator

I’m sorry, I’m new to using the forum. When a query I posted was closed by a moderator, but I had further questions, do I have to start all over again?
I’ve never had a query closed 12 minutes after posting.
Thanks

2 Likes

Feel free to send a direct message to @forum_moderators (which goes to all of us) or a specific moderator (see list) if there’s ever a question or concern about a closed topic.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I feel bad, I posted links to the observations I had a question about after being told to do so by someone who replied to my original query. Then the moderator said I should not have done so and closed the query. I deleted the links but feel like I’ve been chastised and shut out. Perhaps I don’t understand the protocols here, or perhaps I asked an inappropriate question? confused.

5 Likes

To help explain a bit, we try not to call out specific people’s unwanted/undesirable or inappropriate behavior here on the forum. We wouldn’t want someone to visit the forum and see themselves used as an example of something bad or as a talking point. This forum platform (Discourse) is a bit quirky - when you edit or delete a post, the content is actually still visible by everyone for 24 hours (unless a moderator/staff goes in and hides the revision). Depending on the situation, we may also unlist a topic or turn it into a direct message instead.

2 Likes

I agree, that is the kindest way to handle it. I prefer to handle matters directly without causing embarrassment to others. I just needed advice and appreciate that it was given in the moderators concluding comments. I will deal with my remaining question in another post or searching this forum.
Thank you.

2 Likes

I agree, this was completely unnecessary to close AND unlist so soon.

3 Likes

I saw your original post, and from my perspective, there was nothing wrong with it. It was a legitimate question. I don’t know who the moderator was, but the information @bouteloua gave should have been made known to you. I know it is tough, but try not to feel shut out or silenced. Mistakes do happen, and the Forum is a decent place.

3 Likes

I think the moderator answer was normal, you can follow those words really, it was a pretty fast closing of a topic though, but in the end you got the answer, I’m sure it wasn’t a personal thing, probably links did trigger that responce.

1 Like

I agree, the very nicest people are here on iNat!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m probably just overtired today, now that moth season has begun (:-)
Now to research how to flag duplicates when a the user doesn’t respond to comments after time passes.

1 Like

There’s no specific flag for duplicates (though I vote for adding it with all my heart), usually you check those as evidence of organism > no, some people add flags (you can find an icon under the photo), though I saw negative commentaries about that, so I stick to DQA.

2 Likes

DQA means?

1 Like

Data Quality A something, m, assignment? Well, lower part of observation, in English version it’s written there.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve not used that section, and probably need to read up on it before I do.

1 Like

Assessment.

2 Likes

It was me that closed and unlisted; I had no intention of chastising or shutting you out, so I sincerely apologise if that’s how you felt. I thought that I had given a straightforward answer to what I interpreted as a simple question that wouldn’t need any follow up, but I obviously should have provided more of an explanation.

The only reason that I closed and unlisted your thread was because of the links you posted (which wasn’t your fault, you were asked to). I anticipated that the user shown in the links would end up getting flooded with a barrage of (well-meaning) comments/requests to delete one of their duplicate observations, and/or flags on their observations, and that would have been unfair to them. It was also past midnight my time when I closed the thread, so I didn’t have the time to hang around and continue to moderate (which is entirely on me, and nothing you did wrong).

Again, sorry I caused you any stress, I’ll make sure to explain things more clearly in future.

12 Likes

Thank you for explaining. I understand better now your decision. No hard feelings and thank you for your hard work moderating this fine forum.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.