Closed by moderator

I’m sorry, I’m new to using the forum. When a query I posted was closed by a moderator, but I had further questions, do I have to start all over again?
I’ve never had a query closed 12 minutes after posting.
Thanks

2 Likes

Feel free to send a direct message to @forum_moderators (which goes to all of us) or a specific moderator (see list) if there’s ever a question or concern about a closed topic.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I feel bad, I posted links to the observations I had a question about after being told to do so by someone who replied to my original query. Then the moderator said I should not have done so and closed the query. I deleted the links but feel like I’ve been chastised and shut out. Perhaps I don’t understand the protocols here, or perhaps I asked an inappropriate question? confused.

5 Likes

To help explain a bit, we try not to call out specific people’s unwanted/undesirable or inappropriate behavior here on the forum. We wouldn’t want someone to visit the forum and see themselves used as an example of something bad or as a talking point. This forum platform (Discourse) is a bit quirky - when you edit or delete a post, the content is actually still visible by everyone for 24 hours (unless a moderator/staff goes in and hides the revision). Depending on the situation, we may also unlist a topic or turn it into a direct message instead.

2 Likes

I agree, that is the kindest way to handle it. I prefer to handle matters directly without causing embarrassment to others. I just needed advice and appreciate that it was given in the moderators concluding comments. I will deal with my remaining question in another post or searching this forum.
Thank you.

2 Likes

I agree, this was completely unnecessary to close AND unlist so soon.

3 Likes

I saw your original post, and from my perspective, there was nothing wrong with it. It was a legitimate question. I don’t know who the moderator was, but the information @bouteloua gave should have been made known to you. I know it is tough, but try not to feel shut out or silenced. Mistakes do happen, and the Forum is a decent place.

3 Likes

I think the moderator answer was normal, you can follow those words really, it was a pretty fast closing of a topic though, but in the end you got the answer, I’m sure it wasn’t a personal thing, probably links did trigger that responce.

1 Like

I agree, the very nicest people are here on iNat!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m probably just overtired today, now that moth season has begun (:-)
Now to research how to flag duplicates when a the user doesn’t respond to comments after time passes.

1 Like

There’s no specific flag for duplicates (though I vote for adding it with all my heart), usually you check those as evidence of organism > no, some people add flags (you can find an icon under the photo), though I saw negative commentaries about that, so I stick to DQA.

2 Likes

DQA means?

1 Like

Data Quality A something, m, assignment? Well, lower part of observation, in English version it’s written there.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve not used that section, and probably need to read up on it before I do.

1 Like

Assessment.

2 Likes

It was me that closed and unlisted; I had no intention of chastising or shutting you out, so I sincerely apologise if that’s how you felt. I thought that I had given a straightforward answer to what I interpreted as a simple question that wouldn’t need any follow up, but I obviously should have provided more of an explanation.

The only reason that I closed and unlisted your thread was because of the links you posted (which wasn’t your fault, you were asked to). I anticipated that the user shown in the links would end up getting flooded with a barrage of (well-meaning) comments/requests to delete one of their duplicate observations, and/or flags on their observations, and that would have been unfair to them. It was also past midnight my time when I closed the thread, so I didn’t have the time to hang around and continue to moderate (which is entirely on me, and nothing you did wrong).

Again, sorry I caused you any stress, I’ll make sure to explain things more clearly in future.

12 Likes

Thank you for explaining. I understand better now your decision. No hard feelings and thank you for your hard work moderating this fine forum.

10 Likes