Comments/descriptions started before observation finishes indexing get erased

If you try to add a comment or ID description after doing something that would reindex the observation (e.g. adding an ID or changing the DQA) but before the observation finishes getting indexed, the progress is erased after the observation does index. I’m pretty sure this is a new issue that showed up around a week or two ago.

Add ID
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 2.04.59 PM

Start typing comment before observation reindexes.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 2.08.01 PM

Observation indexed, ID officially visible.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 2.09.42 PM

In progress comment deleted.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 2.09.47 PM

I’m not sure I’m using the term “index” correctly here and if there’s a simpler title to use I’m open to suggestions.

Using Chrome on a Mac

4 Likes

I’ve noticed the exact same thing over the past week, Chrome on Windows, definitely a new problem

1 Like

this was from 5 days ago: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/commit/20e9818a0cb2800e77b112f57769057d534181a1.

this was from 9 days ago:
https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/commit/e6ca7ae2d9e5e0622cbfd237a6523e086960cc69.

maybe it’s one of these changes (or both?) are related to the thing you’re noting here.

Made a bug report here: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/2847

3 Likes

sorry. i read the original post this again, and i no longer think part of my earlier comment applies to what is being described here.

It’s happening to me even when I’m simply beginning to type swiftly after opening the observation, without making any changes to it.

Also when I try to ID things frequently it will switch when I’m halfway through typing the name into either confirming the old ID or opening a comment. Likewise, if I comment on an ID I’ve just typed in, it often moves the tail end of my comment to the tail end of the name I’ve just added.

I have not had any of these problems before about 2 weeks ago, and I also use Chrome on Windows.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I’m glad some others can corroborate my general impressions of when this showed up.

I have also been noticing this in the last week or so. Safari on Mac, so not just a Chrome issue.

I have the same issues (Brave on Ubuntu).

Also, I have noticed on the Explore and Identify pages, that if one deletes the taxon name in the box and then clicks out (which should then bring up all taxa), that the name I’ve just deleted reappears and no changes to taxon is made.

The only way I get back to all taxa now is to put State of Matter Life into the taxon box.

Has the iNat team picked up this bug? It’s super common, happens to me every time I use iNat!

1 Like

Adding my previous comment from a closed forum about this bug here- This also happens when marking things captive/cultivated- I’ll hit X, start typing a comment about marking the obs for pets or whatnot, and when it updates it disappears. Slows down my workflow but now I just wait for it to update before I start typing. Can’t remember when I first noticed it happening.

1 Like

The original bug report is for the observation details page, I believe (eg https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/66599266). @edanko are you referring to that page, or to Identify? @antrozousamelia it sounds like you’re using Identify. I’d like to keep this bug report specific to observation details. There are definitely problems with Identify and I’m going to be submitted some screen recordings and detailed descriptions to the team for those this week.

As I wrote above, I filed a bug report here, you can look at that to see if anything has been done about it, but as of now it hasn’t been fixed.

3 Likes

Yep, I was using Identify. Should I delete my comment?

Nah, no worries. Just wanted to double-check.

OK, we released a fix for this and it’s working for me on both Identify and on individual observation pages. Note that if you keep a tab open to Identify (I do), you’ll have to refresh it. Would be great to know if the fix is working for you all as well.

4 Likes

Looks fixed for me. Thanks!

1 Like

this is happening to me again in Identify mode

2 Likes

this is now fixed for me

2 Likes