iNat gobbles up comments

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Windows

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox 83.0 (64-bit)

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Make an identification either on an observation or ‘Identify’

Step 2: Immediately after entering the ID, but before it updates the community ID, start typing a comment

Step 3: When the community ID updates, the half-written comment disappears

This started happening a few weeks ago.

1 Like

This also happens when marking things captive/cultivated- I’ll hit X, start typing a comment about marking the obs for pets or whatnot, and when it updates it disappears. Slows down my workflow but now I just wait for it to update before I start typing. Can’t remember when I first noticed it happening (in fact it may have always been that way).

This is a known and super annoying bug. I will close this to focus discussion on existing thread, which I’m having trouble finding atm but I’m on my phone, so

same as this, probably: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/comments-descriptions-started-before-observation-finishes-indexing-get-erased/17664

1 Like

thanks @pisum. I’ll close this now.
Sorry for getting distracted… my cat peed on the bed ;_;